• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Another Rough Idle - set screw moved?

MrDonivan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
1994 - 3.0L 2WD

Just replaced rotors, Calipers, and pads. Bleed brakes - all is well there, then moved on to the Valve Cover Gaskets and the upper Intake Gasket.

That went well with minimal surprises, the one surprise was that there were 2 gaskets on the upper intake. My purchased replacement only had 1, so that is all she got back. This is only suppose to have a single gasket yes?

Valve covers went fine as well, my first time doing an intake and valve covers so I went slow, and methodically, taking several pictures of vacuum lines prior to ripping them apart and moving things. Came in handy when reassembling, that is for sure.

While I had it apart and had easy enough access, I swapped the plugs too. I failed to research here, so I did not use the motocraft SP-500's, instead going with NGK from autozone.

After reassembly, I had a really rough idle, sounded like it was about to stall and engine was bouncing around. She ran smooth prior to my "fixing", so that was a bit troubling. Initially I thought I missed a vacuum line or had one not seated properly. I looked over them again, verified with my photo's and then sprayed BrakeKleen (was out of carb cleaner) at all the connections...... idle remained unchanged so no vacuum leaks.

Had it sit there a few, then unplugged the IAS, and she died rather quickly. PLugged it back it, cranked her up, and turned the idle screw up until she no longer was jumping around and sounding like hell, then unplugged the IAS again, idle fell lower, and started bouncing around all rough again, plugged the IAS back in and idle raised and smoothed out.

I did NOT touch the idle screw upon my work dismantling the intake, is it common for that to get "shifted" during that process? My truck does NOT have a tach so I am unsure of the RPM's. Need to get one installed so I can check that idle speed out.

Thanks for any input on idle screw setting getting moved during intake removal.

csargents1546

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
To check for which cylinder is not acting right unplug the wires one at a time. I use a set of plug wire pliers with a ground wire on it so you don't get shocked. Possible vacuum leak around the intake. If you have injectors, check the lock tabs, if one is broken off. Take a zip tie and secure it. Last thing to check is for plug tip damage or porcilin being cracked. The plug will have a lone on the insulator if it is cracked. This would allow the spark to go to ground.

MrDonivan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
pulled a couple codes on her today after buying a reader.

172 - HEGO O2 sensor fault/lean
and
332 insufficient EGR flow detected.

The bottom end of the hardline to the EGR valve is loose on the exhaust header, so I assume that is it. Although there are a couple vacuum lines from that hardline too, but they seem ok, might replace them anyway.

On the O2 sensor. I see one easy enough, is their one on both sides or just the single one for the 3.0L ????

MrDonivan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
NOTE:

These are the plugs that I removed. They are ordered as I pulled them if you are sitting at the front of the truck. FOULED unit (top right) would be closest to the driver.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Are your plug wires on in the right order?

MrDonivan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
yeppers the wires are in correct order. I replaced 1 plug at a time and reconnected wire to make sure the wires went back on correct plugs.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well the set screw isn't likely. It mostly affect idle speed.

Is there any chance you disturbed or damaged an injector connector? You would have been right in that area.

Or the distributor? You would have been doing a lot of work in that area as well.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Had it sit there a few, then unplugged the IAS, and she died rather quickly. PLugged it back it, cranked her up, and turned the idle screw up until she no longer was jumping around and sounding like hell, then unplugged the IAS again, idle fell lower, and started bouncing around all rough again, plugged the IAS back in and idle raised and smoothed out.
The throttle plate is supposed to be closed when off the accel pedal and the IAC takes over idle control. By turning the idle screw you are allowing by-pass air through the throttle plate and the IAC.

I would reset the throttle screw to factory then check/adjust the TPS to spec. See if that helps. The TPS tells the computer when the throttle plate is closed and the IAC takes over.

MrDonivan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The throttle plate is supposed to be closed when off the accel pedal and the IAC takes over idle control. By turning the idle screw you are allowing by-pass air through the throttle plate and the IAC.

I would reset the throttle screw to factory then check/adjust the TPS to spec. See if that helps. The TPS tells the computer when the throttle plate is closed and the IAC takes over.
Once i get that damn lower shock bolt situation resolved, I will for sure give this a go. I have a tach purchased, just need to get it installed so i can be sure of the idle screw RPM settings. Thank you.

Last edited:

MrDonivan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
pulled a couple codes on her today after buying a reader.

172 - HEGO O2 sensor fault/lean
and
332 insufficient EGR flow detected.

The bottom end of the hardline to the EGR valve is loose on the exhaust header, so I assume that is it. Although there are a couple vacuum lines from that hardline too, but they seem ok, might replace them anyway.

On the O2 sensor. I see one easy enough, is their one on both sides or just the single one for the 3.0L ????

Tightened up the HardLine on the EGR Valve, then end that attaches to the Exhaust. Took it for a run and the CE light came on again. Got her home and pulled the codes:

172 went away, but not the 332. Funny how changing the EGR system can fix a O2 sensor. But it confuses me on the 332 code. I rechecked the other vacuum lines for the EGR, and the EGR was replaced last summer.

I reseated all the injector electricals to make sure they were on, and I gave all the spark plug wires a good tug to double check those too.

Turned the idle down, she is better than she was, but still random and rumbly. Started pulling the dash apart to install the Tach, but having a hard time locating that Tan w/yellow stripe wire, watched a few video's and it seems like it should be right next to the fuse box but I must be freaking blind or something. And what freaking wire do we splice in on the dimmer? shit. I can re-wire all kinds of shit on my superbike, but this damn truck is confusing for some reason.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If your EGR is leaking it will affect idle.

MrDonivan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Installing a Tach, I have the 2 sets of Power/Ground hooked up, I just need to connect the "green wire" to the Tech Lead.

Looking in the TECH ARTICLES, I see my year/engine states hook it up to the wire that is Tan w/yellow stripe.

Is this what I am looking at here? I didnt think it would be part of a larger connector.
1994 2wd 3.0L

MrDonivan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Used that Tan/Yellow wire to hook up the Tach.

Cold, the idle is fine , immediately starts up and runs approx 1200-1300 rpm, then drops to around 500-700, stumbles, grumbles, then boosts back up to 1200 and runs fine, then after a bit droops back down to 500-700 all grumbles and stumbles.

rinse repeat... sometimes she stalls. Once she is warm, then she idles fine.

I am still throwing an EGR code, 332.
sigh.

Going to try a new EGR gasket. I replaced the within the past year sooo.......

Last edited:

MrDonivan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Meter set to 200k Ohms

Cold reading before starting: 26k
Operating temp reading is : 2.5k

Took it for a short drive until the CHECK ENGINE light came on, throws the following codes:

118 (ECT high voltage)
172 (O2 sesor)
332 (EGR Valve)

I had seen the O2 sensor previously but it went away for awhile. Is there just the 1, or does both exhaust headers have one?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals