• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dome light without eletricity

GabrielBR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Hello,

My firts post in here, and i'm from Brazil, so my english insn't the best. I hope this is the right place.

I own a 1995 ranger single cab, and since I bought it, the door ajar advise was on at the panel, so the last owner removed the sound alarm that says the lamps are on, door's opened and another stuffs.

Important to mention that the dome light was unpluged, so it wasn't staying on all the time, but if I got the wires pluged it worked.

Now the door ajar sing is mysteriously off :icon_confused:, so I decided to plug the lamp inside the dome, but for my surprise it doensn't turns on.

I took a test and there's no electricity going at the lamp, SO HERE'S MY QUESTION:

Is the best solution to get electricity again, redo the wire or have anybody had these problem and took another solution?

Can a good soul take a picture showing were is the sound alarm instaled? and is possible to find another one to buy?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

1995 Ranger will have a GEM(generic electronic module)
The GEM controls all the electrics in the Cab.
GEM is located behind the Radio

Each door has a switch, when door is Closed switch is Open, when door is Open switch is Closed(grounded)
These switches often got stuck Closed(grounded) so Door Ajar light stayed on, popular fix was to spray WD40 into the door latch and open and closed the door a few times to get it unstuck.

GEM is connected to each door with 1 wire, if either wire is Grounded(door Open) GEM closes the Interior Lamp Relay and the Dome Light and "Door Ajar" light up.
So if one of these wires shorted to metal then it would be a Ground

Dome light Power comes from Fuse #27 in cab fuse box, but it powers other electrics as well

Interior Lamp Relay is usually found in RELAY BOX 1, located just above gas pedal under the dash, there are a few Relays in there including Battery Saver Relay.

Wiring diagram here

Attachments

Last edited:

GabrielBR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

1995 Ranger will have a GEM(generic electronic module)
The GEM controls all the electrics in the Cab.
GEM is located behind the Radio

Each door has a switch, when door is Closed switch is Open, when door is Open switch is Closed(grounded)
These switches often got stuck Closed(grounded) so Door Ajar light stayed on, popular fix was to spray WD40 into the door latch and open and closed the door a few times to get it unstuck.

GEM is connected to each door with 1 wire, if either wire is Grounded(door Open) GEM closes the Interior Lamp Relay and the Dome Light and "Door Ajar" light up.
So if one of these wires shorted to metal then it would be a Ground

Dome light Power comes from Fuse #27 in cab fuse box, but it powers other electrics as well

Interior Lamp Relay is usually found in RELAY BOX 1, located just above gas pedal under the dash, there are a few Relays in there including Battery Saver Relay.

Wiring diagram here
Thaks for the answer!

Well, I have forgot to mention that some time ago a fuse was in short circuit, it was located near the pedal, under the wheel, and i took it out. I attached some pic, so can you answer me if it is relacioned to the dome or "door ajar"?

Otherwise, I have tested all the fuses too, and they are ok.

About the ding when door is opened, is there is a way to reinstall it?

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The picture is a Relay not a fuse

From description of location it was in Relay Box 1
And could be the interior light relay

It is powered by fuse #27 15amp

That relay is rated at 30amps, so should have been protected from a short by the 15amp fuse

So there may be a short in the Relay Box 1 or wire loom feeding relay box

GabrielBR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
The picture is a Relay not a fuse

From description of location it was in Relay Box 1
And could be the interior light relay

It is powered by fuse #27 15amp

That relay is rated at 30amps, so should have been protected from a short by the 15amp fuse

So there may be a short in the Relay Box 1 or wire loom feeding relay box
Thank's for the answer, on the weekend i will see if this relay is or not this relay inside the box, but probably this is the problem.

but another question is if there's a way to reinstall the door ajar buzzer, and the main question is if I can buy it online or just find at junkyard?

PS.: I bought new door ajar switches for both doors, so they will be replaced son.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

GabrielBR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
No, in a 1995 Ranger the "Chime/buzzer" will be built into the GEM, module that controls the electrics in the cab, it is located behind the radio.

Looks like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-New-Genuine-OEM-1995-Ford-Ranger-Mazda-B2300-3000-4000-GEM-Module-/281799899862

You can take it apart and solder in a new chime/buzzer
This pic is of my relay box 1. I removed the relay that controls the dome light. So, beyond that relay that I removed, is missing another one?

Does the Chime/buzzer have a relay too?

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, as said the chime will be inside the GEM

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check to make sure the wiring to the switches at the doors is working correctly.

My '85 would pop fuses as fast as I could put them in, mice had chewed the door switch wiring behind the parking brake mechanism on the LH side of the truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals