• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I need a switched posi and neg connection...

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I'm going to hardwire a dash mounted device and I need a 12v pos and a neg that cuts off when the key is turned off.

Anyone got any suggestions under the dash, easy to tap into? 2002 Ranger XLT. Pics would be most awesome!

Thanks in advance

MEAKIN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
pull 12v from keyed power, probly even a spare in the fuse box you can use. check out your wiring diagram. dont worry about cutting ground, just bolt it to something metal.

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I understand the principles LOL, I'm hoping someone can provide me with wire colors :icon_thumby:

CKRobin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
peice a cake make a trip to conway and I will hook it up for you, don't foget to bring the :beer::beer:

MEAKIN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I understand the principles LOL, I'm hoping someone can provide me with wire colors :icon_thumby:
sorry, you never know. i just bought a manual for the newer ones. its at my shop so if you dont get an answer by tomorrow night ill look it up for ya

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
peice a cake make a trip to conway and I will hook it up for you, don't foget to bring the :beer::beer:
Wanna join up with a few of us at SuperLift this Sunday? We're going to be at the staging area at 9:00.

If not, I'd be happy to meet up with you to "wire" my stuff in LOL.

CKRobin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nah, I plan to watch the 'Boys make Farve wish he had retired. Are you going with the Arkansas Crawlers? I was a member back whan they were the Little Rock Crawlers but I sold my 4x4 to fund my race car. I just got my Explorer and it needs some work before I hit the trails but I will join you sometime when I get it ready. Just let me know if you want to stop by. We could splice a wire pretty easy however I would highly recomend using your fuse box. You can pick something up at O'rielys that makes it a breeze to tap into your fuse box that works in most apps, I'll just have to look and see.

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Nah, I plan to watch the 'Boys make Farve wish he had retired. Are you going with the Arkansas Crawlers? I was a member back whan they were the Little Rock Crawlers but I sold my 4x4 to fund my race car. I just got my Explorer and it needs some work before I hit the trails but I will join you sometime when I get it ready. Just let me know if you want to stop by. We could splice a wire pretty easy however I would highly recomend using your fuse box. You can pick something up at O'rielys that makes it a breeze to tap into your fuse box that works in most apps, I'll just have to look and see.
LOL, the Vike are going all the way :icon_cheers:

Naw, I'm not a member of the Crawlers, their stuff is WAY more advanced than anything I have, we just do the Bunny Trails. You don't happen to know Blake Epps do you? (I think that's his last name). He's on a local private forum that I frequent.

Race Car??? What kind of racing do you do? And I may just take you up on your offer. I'm going to give it a shot myself, the suggestion of the manual was a great idea, didn't even think of that even though I was looking at one at Advance Auto just the other day.

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, I got it hooked up. Here's what I ended up doing.

I got some of those crimp type connectors from Advance Auto, the kind that crimp on the cable then it has a female receptacle that the other wire uses to plug in. Like this:

Next was to find the wire connection I was looking for. One that goes hot when the key is switched to Acc or Started. I removed the 3 screws holding the fuse panel in and pulled it out. I got out the owners manual to identify what fuse went to what. Bingo, #29 goes to the Radio, that should be perfect right? Wrong, not sure what "Radio" it goes to, but it's hot all the time.

It was then that I realized I was going to have to break down and get the Multi-Meter out. I was surprised at some of the connections that stay hot all the time. I then realized there were two more Radio connections, but these are labeled as "General Electric Module" Radio. One is 20 and the other is numbered 28. I hit 20 with the Multi with the fuse removed and no juice, I then turned the key to Acc and it hit 12v. I crimped my connector on it, connected up the device and no lights, I turned the key to Acc again and the device lit up, PERFECT!

I put all the trim back on and tidied up the wires under the dash (it had a velcro mounted connection that is fused). All is well now. Oh to answer a question I had in another thread, yes the Oh Shit Handle holes are drilled into the A Pillar on the 02 XLT.

CKRobin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your right, the Vickings will go all the way...home till next season. I'll bet you a :beer:

Yea your radio needs a constant hot wire to keep the programing and clock up to date. The other radio wires would be remote wires to turn it on and in some cases to power other entertainment accesories.

The Crawlers do have some pretty nice rigs I remember the way Steve made his tube Truggie thing. It started as a street driven Blazer but his answer to most trail damage was a sawsall. Finally when too much of the body was gone to be street legal he swapped it out for the Isuzu cab he had on it last I saw it. Who knows what it looks like now.

I had a Street Stock and an E-Mod till about 2 years ago.

Last edited:

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I had a Street Stock and an E-Mod till about 2 years ago.
Awesome, I would guess that we both know quite a few of the same people. Did you go to Centerville? If so, you probably know Jason Fields, he's the one who did all the fab work for my winch and light bar. Don Polk did quite a bit of work on my Evo before he died. Small world eh?

CKRobin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No but I did buy my E-mod from a guy in Centerville and Jason Fields sounds familiar but I can't say I know him. I started at I-30 till I realized that the cars winning were the ones with the same names as the sponcers for the racetrack which explains why I never saw any of them in tech inspections. Then I Raced Plummerville for a bit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals