• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

lying idiot light, dome light and dinging issue

sgull

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Sometimes the "door ajar" indicator words in the dashboard panel light up and stays on, and the overhead cab light stays on, even though the doors are definitely shut securely on my two-door 98 Ford Ranger (happens when ignition is on and vehicle in operation). Then sometimes even when stop the vehicle and remove the key and get out and make sure the doors are shut securely, the cab light will stay on as though a door is really ajar when it isn't. So for now I've just removed the cab light bulb so it won't stay on and run down the battery while the vehicle is off, which is no good because of course I'd like the light to come on when I open the door, or be able to occasionally turn on the cab light manually to see better in the cab at night. And, maybe related, sometimes when the vehicle is off and I might turn the key to the accessory position to listen to the radio while I'm sitting parked outside the store while my wife shops, the ding ding ding sound that usually happens if you leave your keys in the off position and open the door (or if you leave the headlights on with the key in the off position) continues to happen and the only way to stop it is to turn the key to off. Like I said these things happen sometimes, not all the time, but often enough to expect them to happen and to be of major annoyance when they do.

I've come across some suggestions saying to spray the "door latch mechanisms" good with WD-40 and that should stop the problem because apparently thats where the switch that controls all this is located. But I haven't tried that yet because for one thing I don't really know where/what exact location to be spraying, and for another thing some say WD-40 shouldn't be used in such mechanisms because it just gets sticky/gummy later on, and some way say that instead I should use electrical contact cleaner or maybe carb cleaner first, and then use silicone spray after that. Any comments/advice appreciated.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
yep your right spray some wd 40 on the little pins on the inside of the door by the hinge about midway down by the kick panel youll see it it looks kinda like a valve stem, kinda, you should be able to push it in, same concept as a refridgerator light. some spray it down with wd 40 or just replace them alltogether but most likely one or both are just stickin.

rjppunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
oh man, it's that simple???? I've been dealing with that for months now!

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Yeah, that stupid door latch...

But it literally is the latching mechanism that grips the pin. Hose it down with WD40 or other sprayable, thinner lubricant make sure it gets back in there and all around. Mine are usually good for several months between sprayings.

It's so freakin common I can't believe there isn't stickies everywhere for it.

rjppunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I used chain and cable lube today and it worked great

Cutter26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm having the same problem and was just going to ask the same thing. Is there a seperate fuse for the door ajar dinger. I have to do some work on my headliner and like to listen to the radio while I work.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
im not sure if theres a fuse, but do what i did and take the damn thing out, like today i was installin a switch for the new accent lights i just put in and it was nice and quiet with the door open with the radio on. no dinging, but if you take it out, you have no warning for your lights on, but thats not a prob.for me

FastEddy760

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
1997 Ranger - Where Is The switch??

Hey Guys,

I have a '97 Ranger and am unable to locate the door open sensor/trigger!?!?!

Is it inside the rubber boot that protects the wires for mirror, door lock and window?

How on earth did Ford engineer this? I did see a rubber plug about the size of a quarter below the upper hinge a few inches. I suspect a design change.

Baffled and thanks for any help.

FastEddy760

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Heh, found it, after re-reading, thanks guys.

It is in fact the door latch as mentioned above.

Also, I found the key in sensor on the dash column. Mine was loose and grounding out.
This would in turn cause a ding with or without the key in. I taped it up and put the plastic covers back on. No more dings with key in and door open. Lights on still causes the rapid dinging.

Now to disable the accessory plus door open dinging....

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
the little door dinger, that goes off with the keys, take the sob out, thats what i did works great? its under the dash stragiht down from the radio i beleive in our gen, when i doubt follow the sound.

MTReese

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4cyl
Transmission
Automatic
1997 Ranger Door Dinger

Thanks this post was perfect. I was fed up and going to pull the dinger. Thank you WD 40 worked great.:yahoo:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
it needs to be stickied bad!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals