• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2004 oil filter works itself loose.

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2004 oil filter works itself loose. ETA: turning into a trans thread

Never seen or heard of an oil filter that self loosens before this truck. It does not leak when tight, no double gasket, threads are just fine, using motocraft filters.

Never had a problem with the filters I've done on any other vehicle between my 2.3, 4l, 4l toyota, other family vehicles, and even the Cummins 903 on a AAVs.

Are safety wireable filters available for this application? What other methods to affix it do you have? Any ideas of the underlying issue (I'm at a loss)?

The problem finally came to a head yesterday when she stopped making power on the freeway, wouldn't get past 45, wouldn't shift into 4th (this seems to be a separate issue). Either way the oil was low so we topped her off and nursed her home. Engine sounds normal so I think it's going to be fuel or transmission related.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not a very common occurrence unless filter was not tightened when installed.

You can just use a larger hose clamp around the filter, and then use a smaller metal bar/rod that goes up above filter, wedged against engine or ??, so it can't unscrew, there is no pressure for it to unscrew, which is why this is an unusual occurrence, so you don't have to clamp it that tight, snug is good
Or use hose clamp with a wire, same as above, tighten wire so filter can't move in the counter clockwise direction.

Hand tight is fine for new oil filters, don't over tighten them

Last edited:

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ya, that's what really trips me out, Ron. No one seems to have ever heard of a filter working loose. They only get stuck!

I've tried most major brands, excluding fram. Usually use motocraft. Doesn't seem to matter.

With the other issues I'm going to replace the fuel filter and run a pressure test on it. Make sure it's getting what it needs. It's not throwing a code so it must be mechanical and not that bad.

I'll pull the running parameters later (fuel trims and all).

Since it was rather low on oil when it started acting up, I'm going to cut open the old filter and see if there's anything bad inside as well as run a compression test.

I'll have to check the trans fluid when I run it, since it doesn't want to shift into 4th. Beyond that I'm not sure where to go about troubleshooting a trans issue.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You may have an issue with the threaded insert that the filter goes onto. Especially if the issue occurs with multiple brands.

That part is not hard to replace. It has a large allen boss in the center, and can be easily removed.

I have seen this twice, but very very rare. I will say that both I have encountered it it was on a pushrod 3.0 Tauruses. One person wanted it fixed, and we replaced that insert. I don't know if that fixed it or not, because I can't remember ever seeing the car again.

The other guy just got rid of the car.

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info Adam (that was your name right? Ya'll know it's been a while haha). I'll be looking into that insert. Is it available in stores or a dealer only part?

What do you think about the rest of it acting up? I'm about to run the compression check and fuel pressure after posting this. If that all checks out I'm going to run it and pull the OBD2 stuff and trans oil.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Not Adam.

I really am not sure if you can get that piece from a parts chain or if it is dealer only. I've never looked for one outside of the dealership.

I doubt compression is the issue. Compression doesn't just go away suddenly. I would look at fuel pressure first. Usually a fuel pressure issue will cause a sputter.

It could also have gone into a limp mode where the trans is locked in a specific gear, but that should come with a light.

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I took your advice and skipped the compression test. Auto zone fuel gauge wouldn't read anything...

Motor runs fine in N up to 3krpm (rev limiter). Trans fluid has good color and correct level. Fluid looks great actually. Nice light/clear pink.

Shifts sluggish from 1st to 2nd and 3rd. Refuses to get out of 3rd into 4th.

Seems to make power ok in 1st and 2nd, 3rd is weak.

In 3rd it hits 3.5k and I hear a noise from the trans, and I won't push it beyond that. Took it home.

I'm now confident the engine is OK, but the problem lies somewhere downstream of the flywheel.

Trans code is D. So it should be a 5r44e?

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Research is leading me to potentially clogged filter and solenoids. As well as a band adjustment.

Apparently it would throw a code if the solenoids fail, but won't if they're clogged.

The data I got is 20-30 ohms across the soleniod to test. Can anyone confirm this

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals