• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Steering jerking

89Rager

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My 1989 Ford Ranger 4wd manual has a problem with the steering. When going down the road it would pull to the right but if you had to make a left turn it will jerk to the left once it reaches a certain point. I jacked the front end off the ground looking for bad bushings in the front end but found none. With it still jacked up I turned the steering wheel and you could feel it. So I disconnected the steering linkage below the steering box. The steering box is smooth. Then I disconnected the tie rod linkage on the drivers side. The passenger side turns free but the drivers side does not. When you try and turn the drivers wheel by hand it locks up in the center. When it locks up and you jerk it free the front driveshaft moves even though the manual locking hubs are unlocked.

I don't think its the ball joints, I'm leaning towards front u joint. Is there something I am overlooking? Can a bad u joint cause the steering problem? :dunno:

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 1989 Ford Ranger 4wd manual has a problem with the steering. When going down the road it would pull to the right but if you had to make a left turn it will jerk to the left once it reaches a certain point. I jacked the front end off the ground looking for bad bushings in the front end but found none. With it still jacked up I turned the steering wheel and you could feel it. So I disconnected the steering linkage below the steering box. The steering box is smooth. Then I disconnected the tie rod linkage on the drivers side. The passenger side turns free but the drivers side does not. When you try and turn the drivers wheel by hand it locks up in the center. When it locks up and you jerk it free the front driveshaft moves even though the manual locking hubs are unlocked.

I don't think its the ball joints, I'm leaning towards front u joint. Is there something I am overlooking? Can a bad u joint cause the steering problem? :dunno:
it could be an alignment issue. your statement about the truck jerking to the left once reaching a point in a left turn makes me think caster. not enough caster will cause the wheels to feel " flimsy" when steering.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Sounds like the u-joint on the drivers side axle shaft is locked up.

Have they ever been replaced? I bet if you pull that shaft out, you'll have a hard time rotating that u-joint by hand. It's probably really tight.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Exactly what happened on my truck! in addition to that, the automatic hubs, one was locked, it's amazing how much better the truck handled with everything is put back the way it was supposed to be with manual hubs LOL
Sounds like the u-joint on the drivers side axle shaft is locked up.

Have they ever been replaced? I bet if you pull that shaft out, you'll have a hard time rotating that u-joint by hand. It's probably really tight.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Jack up the suspect side, steer it all the way to lock, and see if you can spin the wheel by hand while the 4wd hub is locked (be sure the t-case is in 2WD and/or the opposite-side hub unlocked). If not (or it rotates very stiffly), then yep, your u-joint is frozen with rust.

89Rager

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I ordered some u-joints so I'll give that a try. Thanks for the advice.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I ordered some u-joints so I'll give that a try. Thanks for the advice.
It's one of those "and why you're in there you should also change".. the axle bearing, the seals, repack the wheel bearings... Replace the wheel bearing seal, clean the excessive grease out of the locking hub (because they don't need a lot of grease).

89Rager

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I ordered the bearings and seals too. This evening I started tearing it down. I got down to what I'm calling the spindle ( 5 nuts hold it on, where the bearings ride). It does not want to come off. First I just tried around the edge with a chisel, then I heated up the face for a while. Still no luck. Any tips or tricks?

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I ordered the bearings and seals too. This evening I started tearing it down. I got down to what I'm calling the spindle ( 5 nuts hold it on, where the bearings ride). It does not want to come off. First I just tried around the edge with a chisel, then I heated up the face for a while. Still no luck. Any tips or tricks?
I actually know the answer. it's tight. will come off but you need a very thin edge to get behind the flange, then the other side. I like to have those multi purpose window sash tools.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Any tips or tricks?
Slide hammer w/adapter to thread onto the spindle to pull it off.

Beat on it with a hammer to loosen it, using a block of wood or 2x4 to protect the spindle surface from nicks.

Beat on it with the 2x4 itself.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
LOL there you go, soft vs hard touch.

89Rager

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Got the spindle off and the u joint was the problem. The u joint rusted solid and was not easy to change either. Everything in this job seems to be rusted.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Got the spindle off and the u joint was the problem. The u joint rusted solid and was not easy to change either. Everything in this job seems to be rusted.
It is an OLD truck. I just take the things like that to a machine shop. it's just not that expensive.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
meh
If something is being stubborn from rust, I just chuck it up in my press, put a good amount of pressure on it, then smack it once real sharp with a hammer. A very loud *BANG!* and parts coming apart & falling off the press generally ensues very rapidly. :)

Just have to be careful with stuff like axle u-joints, as too much pressure can bend the yoke pretty easily.

Glad to hear you found the problem. Thanks for the update.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals