• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TOWING a Ranger as opposed to towing WITH a Ranger

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^^^ sorry, that makes no economical sense, never mind the pollution. Just remove the driveshaft and be done with it.

oldbaldy454

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
3.0 FFV
Transmission
Automatic
Was recently directed to Ranger station from the guys who make the Shiftster and have not posted for a few years. On page 1 of this blog, Basilfaulty posted the technique I have been using to tow our 4x4 auto 3.0 L offroad pkg as show in pic, drop the drive shaft and run it in 4x4 mode off the front axle when getting to a destination. Don't know if it is engineered to be run for long time in the "front-wheel drive" mode, but it certainly has performed well even with the OEM vacuum hubs.

I have not towed it in a few years as bought a 02 Silverado (bad word here ..sorry) with neutral position on the dash and more comfortable seats for the wife. However I prefer to pull the ranger as it is a bit lighter !

Looking for any suggestions of using the Shiftster to do "neutral mode" on the electric 1354 T case. Sounds like an an extra notch can be milled/drilled into the shiftster between 4H and 4L for Neutral... where to put the notch is the question.

I have many mods on the Ranger, one of which for towing is to disconnect the turn signals switch thru a jumper plug so that the taillights can be used for trailering lights.
Bought the Ford Electrical diagram book cheap on ebay a few years ago which has helped with many projects.

Fun little truck that we originally bought instead of an ATV for off-road blueberry picking, can use it year around in town for utility jobs with all the creature comforts of heater, A/C and power windows!!

Cheers.
JB

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Wouldn't keeping the shafts connected put more miles on the odometer. So a car that's been towed 100k miles and driven for 40k show 140k miles?

TwoTrackMind

Reaction score
in my truck mostly, but I do hit the house in Mich
Vehicle Year
1998 et al
Make / Model
Ford/AutoZone
Engine Size
3.0L at best
Transmission
Manual
No milage added on newer Rangers

Miles wont be added to odometer if key is not on. Be careful not to lock the the column though - allow the wheels to steer when following arround a curve.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals