• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Building a Tune

Bird

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Before you do anything else, monitor your fuel pressure throughout the run - may have a problem with the connecting hose in the tank that is impeding enough fuel delivery during WOT conditions or th epump may be going out.

Also, clean your maf sensor - may have dirt on the elements that is causing faulty readings.

If all that is done / checks out, then your canned 93 octane tune needs some tweaking.

Bird

Dirmaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
good eye bird, i'll hook up the logger and see if it can pull the fuel pressure from the computer. I'll check the maf while i rebuild the intake system, it just isnt pretty enough for me. I'm getting a new intake pipe bent for me and building a custom air box for a future project that is completely unrelated.

On a side note, my fuel pump usually makes a quite audible whine when it primes the system for start up. It is loud enough that i can hear it at the crappy range of my remote start. I always figured this was normal for rangers, but since you brought the possibility to the table i thought it was worth mentioning

edit: after research, you apparently cannot pull fuel pressure from the computer due to lack of an FPS on the fuel rail

Last edited:

Dirmaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
After letting the computer relearn itself, I gave it about half throttle merging onto the interstate and the afr settled into the 12.4-12.6 range after a couple seconds of holding it out. I was surprised at how long it took for the gauge to start showing a low afr though. I'll make a WOT pass later at the track to see how that's looking and let y'all know how that's looking

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals