• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sony WX GT90BT Bluetooth head unit

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
For those who have looked at my build threads it is no secret that I am partial to Sony radios. Anyway, we sold out 2010 Escape, bought an 05 Explorer, and I was looking for something that would replace at least some of the functions of the Sync system that was in the Escape.

So I looked around the internet and found the Sony WX GT90BT. It's spec sheet says it supports Bluetooth audio streaming, phone calls, and it has the auxiliary input, USB input, and the standard RCA amp jacks in the back.

It is a double DIN radio, so it fits pretty much every Ranger from 93 up, and every Explorer from 95 up. It installs easily with wire adapter and install cage, same as every other radio I have ever put in. The only problem I ran into was having the cut quite a bit out of the side panels of the cage to get the radio centered up, but I think that is a vehicle design issue, not a radio issue.

The Bluetooth phone function does require an external microphone, that comes in the kit with the radio, and running the wire for the mic was the worst part of the job. I wanted the wire run where it wouldn't be seen.

Once the radio was installed I only had a chance to play with it briefly, but so far I like it better than a factory Sync system. Streaming audio from my phone was easier, pairing was easier, and call quality was identical. I did initiate the call from my phone, and I haven't played with it enough to know if there are any voice command functions for starting a call.

Overall, I am very impressed. For all you guys with late model Rangers who were all sore about the last year not getting Sync, go get this radio and do what Ford should have.

clflorida

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
93 and 94 can have double din radios? I thought only the new dashs in 95+ could have them?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I don't remember. I thought I saw a thread somewhere someone had a single DIN with a storage bin that double-DIN delete kits have in a 94, but I could be wrong about the years. It's late and I haven't slept well in over a week.

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I ran the wire for the external mic under/through the dash, below the instruments, above the pedals behind that lower trim panel, and up the left side of the truck, under the plastic cover and the Oh Shit handle inside the A pillar so I could clip the mic to the driver's sun visor.

Worked great.

I used a single DIN head unit and adaptor with the little crap holder tray under the radio.

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I routed the wire similarly, through the dash, across the knee bolster, up the LH a-pillar, and out across the top of the windshield, tucked behind the headliner, and then tucked into the over head console and stuck to it with tape. I will probably take the console out one notch it for the wire here soon so the wire isn't getting pinched.

It was only hard because I was working in the dark trying to use my phone as a flash light.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals