• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 mustang gt seats

therieldeal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so i grabbed some halo headrest mustang seats from craigslist to throw in my 89 single cab. tossed the drivers seat in today... then noticed that it doesnt latch in the upright position. neither does the passenger side (wtf?). anyone know if these seatback mechanisms tend to fail or something?

OldJunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984ish
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6 (Home Rebuild!) 2100 motorcraft carb
Transmission
Manual
The are meant to fold forward to allow rear seat passengers access. the ones in my wifes 5.0 have never latched.

Last edited:

therieldeal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i understand that they need to fold forward... ive owned several 2 door cars in my day but never a mustang. every car ive had the seats latch upright, and then you pull the lever and they unlatch and fold down. if they just dont latch thats fine... just a little odd lol.

oddly the mustang seats seem to sit higher than the stock seats. i'm not sure if i like it or not.

240cubes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'00 '96 '89 '88
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 5.7 2.9
Transmission
Manual
all foxbody seats are junk
ive delt with that too many times

OldJunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984ish
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6 (Home Rebuild!) 2100 motorcraft carb
Transmission
Manual
There is some sort of passive inertia lock on the passenger side seat that keeps it from flopping forward if you stand on the brakes when no one is in the passenger seat. I always thought it was kind of odd. i think its just drivers weight that keeps drivers side in place. Ive had 84,85, 93, Mustangs they were all that way.

desertrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
beat down 4.0
Transmission
Manual
sorry to bring this thread out of the dead but ive had a few fox bodys and all of them that i have owned will fold forward unless they are out of a convertible, for whatever reason the convertible seats didnt fold

Last edited:

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
so i grabbed some halo headrest mustang seats from craigslist to throw in my 89 single cab. tossed the drivers seat in today... then noticed that it doesnt latch in the upright position. neither does the passenger side (wtf?). anyone know if these seatback mechanisms tend to fail or something?
Yes the seat back mechs are known criminally for failing. THe best thing to do is weld the mechanism into a permanent position. Every mustang that year that you see will most likely have the pimp lean to it. Its a flaw of the manufacturing. But its still a good deal and a good mod. Go to mm&ff.com and search the foxbody seat repair article.

240cubes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'00 '96 '89 '88
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 5.7 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Every mustang that year that you see will most likely have the pimp lean to it. Its a flaw of the manufacturing. But its still a good deal and a good mod. Go to mm&ff.com and search the foxbody seat repair article.
hahaha, the pimp lean. :icon_rofl:

well put and so true. i guess im just used to it by now but it was my own fault. i now have a almost stock 302 back in but when the seat broke i had a s/c hci 306 in and i threw it down from 4th to 2nd when a ricer tried to blow past me and the force just oblitterated it and now i feel like eazy-e when i drive it

93Ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93, 96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Yea, i've seen the pimp lean lol, 2 of my buddies have fox bodies and they both leaned on the drivers seat, the one was an 88 with 86k miles and it leaned. Easy thing to fix actually, hard part is trying not the burn through the sheet metal in the seat. I think just the tacks break lose or the seat breaks off where the tacks are, just gotta take the headrest off, then slowly wiggle the seat itself off of its skeleton to reveal the problem.

therieldeal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it gets annoying... the passenger seat slams forward whenever i have to stop quick. oh well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals