• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how much can i tow

suneku127

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so ive never rally towed anything i mean ive pulled my buddys out when they were stuck or if they broke something i would tow them home. but im looking to pull a 6x12 trailer and dont know how mush my rig can tow im not sure on the info any one needs to answer this question but i have a 94 ranger v6 4.0 4x4 and i looked on the sticker on the door hoping to find out like the owners manual says but it two worn i can read the axle though and it says r6 but i cant find anything on that.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
R6 is a 3.73 L/S rearend.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html

Assuming you have stock size tires on it, you should be able to tow that no problem (up to at least 3500lbs, and maybe as much as 5000lbs). Anything over 2000lbs and you should have trailer brakes however.

suneku127

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok well my tires are 31-10-15 what does that have to do with it exactly?

and do i have to get a hitch reciver or can i use the ball on the bumper?

and how exacly tie in the trailer plug at i cant figure it out

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If it's going to be over 2000lbs loaded, get a hitch.

Tire size changes the overall final ratio of your driveline. If you put bigger than stock size tires on it, it's going to strain things more, which means less towing capacity.
31x10.50s isn't excessive (a metric equivalent actually came stock on some models), so chances are you'll be OK there.

For the trailer plug, go to your local autoparts store and get a trailer light wiring tap for your truck.
To install it, you simply separate your taillight harness from the main wiring harness (connector should be right behind the driverside tail lamp housing), plug the trailer tap into the vehicle harness, then plug your tail light harness back into the other side of the tap. Then you can plug your trailer's wire into the tap.

suneku127

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok thank man but what if i pulled an old plug off a 93 ranger ans all the wires are cut should i just get a new one. ya think

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
so ive never rally towed anything i mean ive pulled my buddys out when they were stuck or if they broke something i would tow them home. but im looking to pull a 6x12 trailer and dont know how mush my rig can tow im not sure on the info any one needs to answer this question but i have a 94 ranger v6 4.0 4x4 and i looked on the sticker on the door hoping to find out like the owners manual says but it two worn i can read the axle though and it says r6 but i cant find anything on that.
Not to get all might, but no one asked 6x12 trailer, WHAT TYPE? Open bed or Closed, if closed is it flat or slightly rounded front or V-nose. At 6x12 the answers to these could drmatically change the answers. For instance if its open bed single axle it should be fairly light trailer but a tandem axle could be over a grand to start, but again should be completely DO-Able even from the bumper. If its closed however, I would not suggest it from the bumper PERIOD. If it is flat or slightly rounded, you may have some trouble. I would doubt it exceeds the max cross for drag but any real weight will make things worse.
Just my 2 cents worth.

suneku127

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well im not sure what kind it is i think it closed im sure it is . . im renting it from u haul to move maybe two rooms of stuff. at least i hope its closed the last thing i want is my crap to end up on the highway.

HareRazor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would be surprised if U-haul will let you rent a trailer without a hitch on the truck. The hardware store down the road here wouldn't let me rent a car dolly with the ball on the bumper.

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
The 6x12 uhaul tandem axle is rated for 3500# GVW. I would advise checking with them directly on towing from the bumper, for the reason that the trailer can exceed your tow capacity at the bumper. They may have told you your truck can tow it, having assumed you had a receiver. In addition, the trailer height is low enough so as to decrease the cross sectional drag caused by the trailers front.

suneku127

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah i was think i was going to get a hitch anyway cuz i have been wanting one for a while now but u haul never asked if i had a hitch or not. i think the tuck its self can do like 5000 lb or so give or take at least thats what all my poking arond on the internet says. is that about right.

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
most likely that is the max, remember your max tow capacity is actually your gross combination weight minus the vehicle loaded weight (ie with you the dog and all your gear inthe truck).
Example:
Truck weight dry (from the factory) = 3500
Load of dirt in the bed = 1000
You and dog in the cab = 200
the new hitch = 75
the tool box in the bed = 50
Total truck weight = 4825
Gross combination weight rating = 9000
Max trailer weight (including load) = 4175
The majority of the trucks out there, the max trailer weight includes the payload capacity, so a truck with a 1000 lbs payload capacity rated to tow 5000 lbs can actually handle either trucks dry weight (as from factory and does not include driver) plus max trailer or max payload subtracted from the max trailer.

suneku127

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok ive had a really long day today and any other day i would probally understand that but if you could say that in a way that a monkey could get that would be great. i mean it makes since kinda but i got lost somewhere

suneku127

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok i think i understand. so the toatl cant exceed 9000. is what your saying

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals