• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ham/CB radio mounting and such

iangoround

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Now that I have something I don't mind cutting up a little to mount my 2 meter mobile rig into, I've been trying to think of a good place to do so.

I thought about putting it where the ash tray is, but my truck is a 5 speed. I don't want to have to reach around the stick whenever I want to do something with the radio.

Removing the super fancy AM/FM cassette isn't an option, or the heater controls. If I didn't have an electronic transfer case I could mount it in the dash there.

I think on top of the dash might look a little silly, and not really give me a good place to run the power and antenna leads. Maybe I could mount it to the roof somehow?

How/where do you guys have your ham/CB rigs set up in your trucks?

PARKINGLOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
In my old BII, I had it mounted on the underside of the dash first, then bolted to the roof.

VA3RBV....

iangoround

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I routed the coax for my mag mount through the back window. I don't really like it there, but it works for now.

I think I'm either going to mount the radio under the ash tray, which isn't as bad a place as I had initially thought, or on top of the dash.

Maybe I'll just find a rig with a detachable face and mount that to the headliner? I'd really like to put my IC 280 there, but the thing is a tank.

KC2BBT

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual

this is my old radio...new ones in the same local.

works good for me...

redranger02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
well u could try to put on the back wall or in the glove box. i work for the fire department. i have two radios vhf uhf and a cb. i had to put my cb in the glove box becase there really anywhere else i could put it. that works good for me

87Ranger4me

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm having the same problem, I just can't seem to find anywhere to mount anything, so I think I'm going to pick up a new duel band Kenwood with a detachable head and mount the radio behind the seat then mount the head somewhere on the dash. It will be a lot easier to find a place for the head than the whole radio, (I think!). As for the antenna, I'm not going to put any holes in my truck, so I will be sticking with a mag mount through the back slider.

KB6QVI

Danger-Ranger96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
seeings how my gen 3 has the newer dash i had to improvise, the vents didnt work anyway and i had to JB weld the CB Bracket on top of the deck - not literally of course, but on the deck cartridge, it doesnt have interference and everything runs perfect, i have it wired into my cig lighter - which was also broken heh

the antennae are now black courtesy of tremclad :D

gotta love the Gear oil all over the street from when my front diff was leaking - that is now fixed.

iangoround

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That would be my ideal mounting location but the 4x4 switch lives there and I don't want to relocate that as well.

I'm thinking about trading in my Icom 280 for something newer with dual band capability or better. At the very least something smaller. I have a nice Kenwood something or another but it is unfortunately fried. (Grandfather sold it to a guy who hooked it up backwards and toasted the protection diode, but not before killing most of the ICs on the board)

I do like your antenna setup. Even with my dinky mag mount, it still hits the ceiling in the parking garage at work if I don't drive exactly in the middle of the lane and makes a nice TWANG sound.

iangoround

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just ordered an Icom 208H. I think the remotable face plat will solve all my problems!

KC2BBT

PARKINGLOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The 208 looks like a good radio....I want to get a new radio, something that's a dual bander......

iangoround

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It has mostly good reviews. The only bad things i've heard about it are that the supplied mic sometimes sucks for audio quality, it can be confusing to program, and that ICOM should give the software out for free.

The mic problem is easily fixed by opening up the hole to the mic element, or adjusting the mic gain. I found the radio can also be modified to Rx almost everything from 132Mhz to 999Mhz.

Can't wait to get it in my hands!

dmicucci

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I know this is kinda an old thread but in case you're still lookin for a solution I thought I'd chime in.

In my ranger I mounted the CB on the roof by taking a strip of metal, bending it to fit the contour of the roof between the sun visors, then attaching it to the roof using the mounting screws for the sunvisor clips. Then I bolted the mount for the CB to that metal plate. puts it up out of the way big-rig style.

Hope this helps. I can get pics of the setup if anyone needs/would like them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals