• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Inexpensive 4/3 ch Amp suggestions

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I hate to tell you, but there is no reasonable way you can melt a voice coil by "under powering"...Don't know how you came across this info, but they are blowing smoke up your a$$ and don't know $h!t...
SVT
I do pro audio work for a living, and with pa cabinets if you under drive the speaker with an amp you can melt a voice coil. i have done several repairs for people that buy stuff from thei local guitar center without checking details on what they are buying. usually its the high end of the cabinets that melt, though i have seen it on the lows of a cabinet before. now mind you there are in 1000 watt cabinets and they are being pushed by a 300 watt amp. i have never delt with in car audio but i would assume the concept is the same, after all a speaker is a speaker the concept is the same.

RoidedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Back in my broke high school days I had very good experience with DHD amps. I had 2 1000w 4ch amps and 2 1000w 2ch amps. For just some 100 dollar cheapo amps I was impressed.

Now i'm running all Orion amps and its no comparison, but neither is the price. LOL

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
So who knows anything about motorcycle batteries? Here is what i am running for the cooler boombox

(2) Pioneer 6X9s
(2) Blaupunkt 4X6s
(1) JBL 8in subwoofer
Sony CDX-GT540 UI head unit (will run the 4X6s)
Alpine MRP-F240 4ch amp (will run the 6X9s and sub)
XM Radio receiver or iPod

So with this, how many hours can I expect to get out of a motorcycle battery? Should I get 2?

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
So the cooler is coming along nicely. Found out the motorcycle battery, while small, is not powerfull enough to run the system. Borrowed the battery from the truck and works great. So need to figure out my battery situation

Other issue I am having is i cannot get the amp and head unit to work at the same time.
*I have the amp power connected to the positive terminal, the ground to the negative terminal.
*Connect the headunit power to the positive terminal and the amp comes on As soon as i connect the headunit ground to the neg post the amp turns off. Are they grounding each other out? What else can I ground to? The cooler is plastic. Thoughts?

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
So I think I am going with a deep cycle marine battery. Advanced Auto has one on sale for $60

So need to figure out my grounding issue. Thoughts or ideas (see issue in previous post) ?

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
It is done!

Just have to tie down the battery and put on some lawn mower wheels (current wheels useless off road) and it is officially done

(2) Pioneer 6X9s
(2) Blaupunkt 4X6s
(1) JBL 8in subwoofer
JVC head unit (runs the 4X6s)
Alpine MRP-F240 4ch amp (runs the 6X9s and sub)
XM Radio receiver/MP3 player
2 fans (in and out)
Deep cycle battery (used for golf carts, wheelchairs etc and lasted a surprising 8 hrs at a moderate volume)

click to play

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals