• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

tow package

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
How can I tell if my truck has the tow package. I know it has the wiring harness but that could have been put on by the PO

jeffw920

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How can I tell if my truck has the tow package. I know it has the wiring harness but that could have been put on by the PO
there should be a few ways.. first i believe you can decode the vin, second the rubber casing on the 4pin pigtail will say ford on it, now i know this does not guarantee it was factory installed but i would think if someone were to put one on themselves it would likely be something other than a ford piece...plus it'll be neatly integrated to the rest of the wiring harness. Which again i guess could be done by a previous owner, but you would likely be able to see a difference.

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
Does it have the the relays in the power panel? Look in the owners manual for towing related fuses & relays, if there installed then 99% of the time it is factory or dealer add factory parts. The one tell tale sign on most rangers is the rear drums, there are 2 different sizes (at least for newer models) a 9 inch and 10 inch, 10 inch is tow package. In addition, it will have a Ford factory trans cooler, the cooler will be a fin cooler not a tube and fin like the majority of aftermarkets.

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
well then i have the tow package. i have 10" drums. cool. thanks guys

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A 94 Ranger doesn't even have a space in the relay panel for a towing package. I don't think anything before 98 even had the option. I know there was no trailer tow package avaialble on my 97. 98 is the first year I have ever seen a factory trailer hitch and wiring installed. All 4.0 4x4s have 10 in brakes as far as I know, mine does. If it has trailer wiring, it was probably installed by the last owner. Doesn't mean you can't tow with it though. Just make sure it has a good trans. cooler on it.

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
well if you go to kbb "tow package" is one of the options you can check off so there must have been one

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well if you go to kbb "tow package" is one of the options you can check off so there must have been one
That's standard almost all of those pricing deals...

All the Ranger TP contained was a receiver hitch... and MAYBE a wiring harness, but most of them came with that anyway, and maybe some other little detal.

Its a Ranger, what are they going to add to the tow package for that small of a pickup? A friggin gooseneck hitch?

Stxrangerbumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2009 / 1993
Make / Model
B2300 / f250HD
Engine Size
v6 3.0L/ 7.3L
Transmission
Manual
A 94 Ranger doesn't even have a space in the relay panel for a towing package....... the first year I have ever seen a factory trailer hitch and wiring installed. All 4.0 4x4s have 10 in brakes as far as I know, .
9'' = not long towing,,, overheating

10'' = go to towing

and/or add kit towing (- $25)

Last edited:

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
well i've got the harness which doesn't really look jimmy rigged and seeing as the last person that owned the truck had no idea about anything i would think it might be factory. i also have 10" drums. i don't have a hitch but did any 3rd gens come with a hitch?

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well i've got the harness which doesn't really look jimmy rigged and seeing as the last person that owned the truck had no idea about anything i would think it might be factory. i also have 10" drums. i don't have a hitch but did any 3rd gens come with a hitch?
Never seen a 3rd gen with a hitch from the factory. Your wiring is probably hooked into the tail light harness with a T-connector from Hoppy or some other accessory company. If you follow the wiring back, that's probably what You'll find. It'll also have a small converter box in the wiring somewhere that converts your 2 bulb tail/signal into a single wire for the trailer lights. It's the best and easiest way to do it. I'm not saying that You can't tow or that there is anything wrong with your truck, just that it isn't factory equipped with a towing package. Mine didn't have a factory tow package option, and I tow with it all the time but I had to install everything myself.

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
well its not like i plan on towing anything big but a small dirtbike trailer once in a while. so did the 3rd gens ever actually come with a tow package or do people say that because they have a wiring harness. if it did would the leaves be different. more?

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I can't really say what a Ranger tow package would have consisted of but I doubt the springs would be different, I don't think there's any difference on the bigger trucks. A tow package usually consisits of a hitch, wiring and a connector to plug in an electric brake controller under the dash, along with a relay or 2 to make it all work. You'll hardly notice a dirt bike trailer back there. I regularly tow a trailer with a dirt bike and all our camping gear in it that weighs around 1500 lbs loaded and it's not a big deal at all.

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i know its no big deal. just something that would be interesting to know

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Its a Ranger, what are they going to add to the tow package for that small of a pickup? A friggin gooseneck hitch?
Heck yeah. I want a goose neck for my Ranger.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Rangers have never had the wiring in place from the factory for anything other than the 4 pin flat plug. No factory wiring for trailer brakes or a charge wire, all this needs to be added.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals