• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 reg cab trail rig build

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Any coil will bow without moving the lower mounts. You either need to space out the coil buckets on the frame, or move the lower mounts in. I suggest moving the lower mounts in for better flex, out for more stability for on road driving...

SVT

97TrailRigDD

August 2011 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Air shocks would be cheaper and WAY easier to mount. And I know where you can get some.

97TrailRigDD

August 2011 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Order dana 44 shock weld on shock mount tabs from ruffstuff or ballistic and I'll bend you some shock hoops.

97-cobra/ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright so I Got a FW '87 8.8 and geared it with 4.88s last weekend. Getting ready to regear my front with 4.88s soon. The guy I bought the axle from said it has a rebuilt track lock "built for 90% lockup". Does anyone have experience with the traclock with extra clutches? I think I want an aussie locker up front instead because I don't think the tracklok is gonna perform like I want.

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am happy with the aussie in the front of my ranger. It has survived multiple broken axle shafts and blown hubs. My wife has a trac lock in her jeep. It is better then an open diff but when you get in the big rocks it starts slipping to much. For what we use each vehicle for they each work for the intended purpose.

97-cobra/ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I finally started my sas last night. Got the old junk out and the new axle is just sitting under there on jack stands. Gonna knock the rivets off the coil buckets tomorrow and hopefully get the radius arms mounted on the frame and get the new coil bucket location figurer out. So does everyone usually move the axle about 1" forward? Also what pitman arm dies everyone use? I have the GM 1 ton tie rod kit from ruff stuff to make my own steering but I think my drop pitman arm is gonna be too low.

Here's a few pics.

btw it's getting a FW d44 with 4.88s (open diff for now), FW 8.8 4.88s (open diff for now), 63" Chevy springs, extended arms with Johnny joints, and a manual shift t-case

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
When I did SVT I pushed it forward 6", I'd recommend going 2-4", using the 6" drop pitman. If you're gonna stay low or high steer, might want to try either the stock pitman or a superduty pitman....

SVT

rathranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Anything new?

97-cobra/ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea, I've made the new transmission cross member and radius arm mounts, bought some James duff coil buckets and track bar mount and got them on. I've redrilled the James Duff lower coil mounts buy still need to put them on and get the coils in, make my steering and track bar. I have all the parts, just gotta find motivation. I also bought some 37x12.50x16.5 military tires off a hummer. T hey're like % 90 tread and got 5 of them for $600 so I couldn't pass them up. I know they're not ideal but they'll work for now.

Here's the x-member

merch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
aint nothing wrong with that!

97-cobra/ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well got the steering and trac bar done and the front of the truck on its own weight. Still gotta tighten everything up, paint the steering and trac bar, put the hubs and brakes on it. Wheels should be here early this week so I can get the front end done then move on to the rear.

97-cobra/ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh and the trac bar and drag link are the same angle and are within 1.5" of the same length so hopefully that will mean no bumpsteer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals