• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

strange noise 4x4 ranger

joeranger

Reaction score
2011 Ford Ranger 4X4 sport 5 speed manual -bought new just turned 55K miles.

Going home a heard a loud clunk while slowing for a stop. No shutter or vibration. Pulled off and looked around nothing seems out of place.

Drive home no issues, next day no issues. weekend drive to the garage and all of a sudden a few miles in the trip I hear a sound like paper flapping around under the truck. Pull off and about ready to go back. But no more sounds so drove 80 miles to the shop. Took of the front wheels left rotor badly grooved.
Brake pads look ok about 1/3 worn. So replaced both rotors and pads. Test drive everything ok. Maybe a stone got caught up in the rotor.

Drive to Church and hear a slight womp womp sound front the front. Varies with speed and louder when making left turns. Back to shop and the lift cylinder blew a seal. back to old days of jack stands and floor jack. Have off ground running turning wheels no sound of course.

Drive home and hear low womp womp for about 5 miles and disappeared for the remainder of the trip.

seems worse at initial part of a drive but goes away after a few miles.

Thinking I have a hub bearing going bad ( replaced them on a 92 I had -ABS ring broke in it)) or bad half shaft.

I just don't like doing repairs by changing parts until it's fixed and these parts are a bit on the expensive side to be guessing what is wrong.

Any suggestions for testing or a problem I might be overlooking?

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Is it under Warranty? 2011 with 55k should be. Could be a lot of things that make that noise. Best to jack up the back end put it on jack stands and have a helper with you so you can put it in gear and listen for the noise. If not take it to a shop and let them find it for you. Might be a cheap fix.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry, ment to say jack up the back and the front to check for the noise.

joeranger

Reaction score
Past the 3 yrs 36 K miles warranty.
Looked underneath again and see the inner axle shaft on the drivers side is damp.

joeranger

Reaction score
Did check and seem like it should be covered under powertrain 5yrs 60K. Not a big fan of the local dealership and would rather attempt the repair myself even though I will be out some cash

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals