• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1992 4.0 cutting out

poorwhiteboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My '92 4.0 5 speed is dealing me fits. 149k; has run flawlessly (but it's been pretty damn well maintained).
Lately; when it's first started; the check engine light is on. It runs rough; stumbles a bit. When it gets out on the highway and warmed up; the light goes out and it runs great. After a few miles; it bucks/stumbles; feels like it's backfiring; and the light comes on again. I don't have an obd tester; and of course; the dealer wants a minimum of $125 to look at it.
Ideas?

TxGasRacer

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 ohv
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Take it to AutoZone or one of the other chain auto supplys and they will pull your codes for you and it's free. Hope this Helps you out.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, you need to get the Computer(PCM) trouble codes.
Auto parts stores often have OBD II readers but not OBD I readers, your '92 is OBD I.
'95 and earlier is OBD I
'96 and up OBD II

But you can read these OBD I codes yourself :)
Under the hood usually by the brake booster is the VIP "test port" to read the codes, you can hook up a jumper wire(paper clip even, lol) to the test port and when key is turned on the CEL(check engine light) on the dash will Flash the code numbers in memory.
Write them down, don't "remember them", :) , "I think the code was.........", is worse than not having the code at all.

Read here first: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD_I.shtml

You can also use a test light or analog volt meter to get the codes.

As said in the article there are two sets of codes, current codes, and History codes, there is a 6 second pause before History codes are flashed

Code list is here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2digitcodes.shtml

Common issue with Ranger 4.0l is dirty MAF although that usually won't turn on CEL
Clean MAF: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/CleanMAF.shtml

From your description of poor cold running then a sweet spot and then poor warm running it could be the computer(PCM) is not getting correct information from the ECT sensor.
ECT(engine coolant temp) sensor has TWO WIRES, it is only used by the PCM, not the dash board temp gauge.
If there is a signal problem with the ECT sensor then CEL would come on.

ECT sensor on the 4.0l will be located just above the thermostat housing on the lower intake, it can be tested with a volt/ohm meter.
There will be 2 devices that look similar at that location.
2 wire ECT sensor
1 wire engine temp SENDER << this one is for the dash board temp gauge

But until you get the trouble codes it is all just guessing

Last edited:

poorwhiteboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well; solved my issue today. I purchased an Inova code reader off of craigslist for $10 (it stores all the codes so you don't have to count the flashes).
It was giving code 157 and 158; which are low voltage to the MAF sensor; and high voltage to the MAF sensor. Installed a new one; ran much better; but still had a little cut out. Pulled all the plugs (less than 1k miles on Bosch Platinum). Two of the plugs already had half of the electrode burned off. Advance warrantied them all; I traded them in for some of the new Efire plugs. I went ahead and replaced the two wire coolant sensor you suggested.

Truck runs great again; mileage is up. The code read and the manual are now in my glove box.

Props to all of you!

poorwhiteboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Forgot to mention; I did the driveshaft swap from a '97 Super cab; instead of cutting down the fuel tank guard; I put the '97 guard in.
Great tip; thanks again to all.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals