• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 302 swap questions

DennisH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I have a 94 3.0 4x4 I want to put a 302 in. I have a 302 from a 92 for mustang Efi with a dual sump. My question is what other parts will I need? I've read about it until in blue in the face but I'm still a little confused. I want to keep it a manual trans. What is the best vehicle to get a computer and wiring harness from to avoid having to splice a bunch of wires? What trans can I use without having to modify the driveshafts? I'm basically looking for the easiest and cheapest way to do this swap. I have a 7.5" 3.37 axle and have heard that as long as I don't really beat on it that it'll be fine. I plan to use the truck for a second daily driver and haul wood. It is not going to be a race truck or anything.

My understanding is I'll need:

4.0 radiator
Engine mounts or fab my own
Alternator bracket
Trans (which one?)
Wiring harness and computer (again, which one?)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Get a manual trans(M5OD-R2) and transfer case from a 1997 to 2002 F-150 with 4.2l V6

4.2l V6 uses the Windsor small block bolt pattern, as did the 302(5.0l), so trans from 4.2l will bolt to 302

You can use a manual trans with transfer case from older F-150 with 5.0l but shifter will be farther forward, it will work, just more modifications are needed.
1996 was last year of the 5.0l and 1997 first year of the 4.2l V6 and Modular V8s with shifter farther back, Modular V8's bolt pattern don't match 302(5.0l)

You also need a 5.0l computer and engine wiring harness to run the EFI from a manual trans vehicle, 1994 or older would be best to match your current OBDI wiring, in 1995 Ford started using newer computer, EEC-V(OBD2), which required more wiring and an extra O2 sensor or 2

Last edited:

Duber15

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Good information. I'm looking to do this myself. Also have a 94, e coming from a 4.0L.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
I just finished my 96 expo 5.0 swap but I'm 2wd . I have a build going in the mini truck section .

I just wanna go fast [emoji48]

gsp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Click my build thread, I used a 93 mustang alternator mount (slightly modified for larger alternator) and all other pulleys and parts are March products, Griffin radiator, WC T5

Last edited:

DennisH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info. Will I need to shorten or lengthen the drive shafts?

DennisH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Is that tranny popular? I called a couple junk yards and no one had one.

DennisH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So here's a thought... Can I use an explorer 8.8 rear end with 3.73 ratio to match the 3.73 on my front axle and keep the front axle in place? Only time I would use 4x4 is in snow so it probably would not see a lot of torque or use. Also, the explorer rear end comes with disc rear brakes correct?

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
As long as the ring and pinion ratios are the same size of differential won't matter

DennisH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
awesome, that sounds like what I'll plan on doing. Is that common for 4x4 Ranger swaps? What front end do people use if they choose to go to a larger ring gear, in the front, such as the 8.8?

DennisH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
also, what vehicles commonly have the 8.8 3.73 rear end? It would be super convenient if it were a direct bolt in swap.

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
also, what vehicles commonly have the 8.8 3.73 rear end? It would be super convenient if it were a direct bolt in swap.
My first gen expo has an 8.8 3.73 ls. I would think that any 4wd expo 91-2001 (or whenever they switched to IRS) would be a safe bet to have a 3.73 or 4.10. Plus the expo 8.8's are 31 spline instead of most of the rangers being 28 (I think) spline.

But as far as a direct bolt in an expo rear is not. It is something like 2 inches wider than the ranger 8.8's and expos are spring under so you would need to weld on new perches.

Direct bolt in 8.8's would come out of any 4.0 ranger and I think it was only the fx4 level 1&2's that had the 31 spline stonger 8.8's.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DennisH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If at all possible I would like to not have to switch out the rear end to the 8.8. It will be the last thing I do anyway, just trying to get a sense of how much money this project will cost. A rear end is probably $3-400 at the junk yard.

Also, would a 1990 5.0 mustang harness and ECU work for my swap. I saw one on ebay for $90 but was too late and the auction ended.

I'm at the very beginning stages of my swap. Ive got the 5.0 all tore down and will take it into the machine shop after I get my diesel fixed... A whole'nother story.

What are the recommended things to have them check on the motor? I figured I'll have them replace the main bearings, check the bore and hone, check the crank and maybe grind the valves. The motor had 140,000 miles on it when pulled and ran strong. I just don't want to spend more than about $1000 total on the motor. That includes all of the front accessories and brackets.

Speaking of which, anyone have extra parts they want to sell? I basically need everything on the front of the motor from timing cover to fan. My brother reused all of those parts on his 351 swap in his mustang.

MagicMexican

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So here's a thought... Can I use an explorer 8.8 rear end with 3.73 ratio to match the 3.73 on my front axle and keep the front axle in place? Only time I would use 4x4 is in snow so it probably would not see a lot of torque or use. Also, the explorer rear end comes with disc rear brakes correct?
Yes, the explorer axle comes with disk brakes. However, the leaf springs on the explorer hook up underneath the axle, so you'll have to cut off the spring perches and weld them on top, and you'll need to weld on shock mounts, too. There's a page here on how to go about it. (http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Explorer8_8.shtml)

If you really want disk brakes, putting mustang disk brakes on a ranger axle isn't that hard, either. That mod will work on either 7.5 or 8.8 rear ends.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals