• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

01 Ranger blowing 10A blower fuses

01_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Transmission
Automatic
As title says, my Ranger keeps blowing the 10A fuse for my heater/AC blower. This also controls the overdrive ON/OFF circuit. I believe this is what's popping the fuse. I removed the housing around the steering column & the 2-wire harness going to the overdrive button was tighter that a banjo string. I got some slack in this but the fuse still pops (usually when I put the truck in gear.It's an automatic.)

I bought a Haynes manual but guess what? The POS manual has a cheesy wiring schematic in the back of it but yup ...no blower/overdrive circuit. WTF???

So I'm wondering in anyone has this schematic for the blower/overdrive circuit they can scan and send me or have you ever found a short in this area before.
Anyone know how that harness runs down from the steering column...This is on a 2001 Ranger ext cab 4.0L with auto tranny.

Please help!!!!:icon_confused:

01_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Transmission
Automatic
Wow !!!! NOBODY has the wiring diagram for the heater blower ???? Oh well.

Tulsa Time

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Was 3.0, IS 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I have the same manual so no luck with a wiring diagram here.
If the fuse is popping you know the problem is downstream from the fuse. You could try removing the fuse, setting the blower to high speed, connecting an ohm meter from the power lead of the blower (while disconnected from the blower) to chassis ground, and looking for a shorted condition. Try moving the gear selector and jiggling the suspect wires while watching for a short. This may help you to narrow it to a specific area.

Good luck.

01_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Transmission
Automatic
Yah, I pretty much know which harness it is. It's not in the actual blower. I'm 99% sure I've located the problem wire. I just figured someone would have had this apart before & gave me a heads-up. The wires for the overdrive switch were so tight, I'm surprised they didn't actually open up. I thought maybe it was a common? problem but I guess not. Maybe previous owner had it apart for whatever reason & put it back that way.

I wanted to look @ the diagram to see if the wire in question went straight down to the tranny, to a terminal block somewhere, or what....guess I'll just rip the dash apart and find out.

It's pretty sad when the Haynes manual says it has the schematics in it, then you buy it, open it up, and something as common as the blower circuit isn't even in there. LOL:shok:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals