• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How much can my Ranger tow?

Moto_Rex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm thinking of getting an enclosed trailer to haul a couple motorcycles, about six times per year I'd say. I was thinking of getting a 6x10 with an advertised weight of approx 950 lbs. The motorcycles combined would be 900lbs. I have a 4.0L with automatic transmission. I would be travelling over rolling hills at worst...no mountains. Can my truck handle it, or is it too taxing on it? Would I need a bigger truck? Thanks

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
ive towed full size trucks with my ranger, i think it can handle 3 bikes just fine.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
not a problem for the 4.0L............ the wind drag may get you and never tow with an A4LD in OD

IamMonsterMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Even with my 2.9 and A4LD I towed a Mazda 626 with a broken CV axle out of the woods and 5 miles to the Parts Store :D

So i think you would be fine

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
A 4.0 automatic is rated to tow about 5000 lb with the proper hitch. Under 2000 lb will be no problem power-wise, brakes are a different story. Laws vary by state but I think all 50 require trailer brakes for over 2000 lb, some for over 1500 lb. Leave the OD off and allow for longer stopping distance.
My jetski with a full tank and the trailer goes about 1000 lb, with the Ranger I knew it was there when it came time to stop. The Sport Trac with the 4 wheel discs, it's "trailer, what trailer?".

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm thinking of getting an enclosed trailer to haul a couple motorcycles, about six times per year I'd say. I was thinking of getting a 6x10 with an advertised weight of approx 950 lbs. The motorcycles combined would be 900lbs. I have a 4.0L with automatic transmission. I would be travelling over rolling hills at worst...no mountains. Can my truck handle it, or is it too taxing on it? Would I need a bigger truck? Thanks
I don't think you can get 2 bikes into that narrow of an enclosed trailer. I guess it depends on the bikes. My parents have a 7x14 that you can stand up in and they put them in staggered. They ride big road bikes--I think my dad's is a 1500cc Nomad and my mom's is an 800 of the same type. Granted they are old people and climbing off a pile of chrome next to another pile of chrome in a space about 6'6" wide would be impossible without the firemen cutting the side out of the trailer to free one of them. I would take the bikes to the dealership and see how easy it is to get them in.

keviinxk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 98 ranger auto 3.0 i tow with. my trailer with all my tools in it has to be in the 3k range. the trailer is a 6x10 like you want. im not gonna win any races but i think youll be able to put the 2 bikes in there fine. i rigged my truck up with a trans cooler and adjustable air struts in the back to stop the sag. (the pic on the left)

RunBaja

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
you might want to look into trailer brakes, there about $300 installed with a controller in the cab. There a life saver when it's raining or your coming down hills. We use them at work on all our tow rigs.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I don't think you can get 2 bikes into that narrow of an enclosed trailer. I guess it depends on the bikes.
Having towed a 6x10 trailer, I'd be dissapointed if you couldn't get 3 bikes in there. 2 in forwards, one in backwards, and have room to spare.

The factory rating is between 5-6,000 lbs max. For a 2000lb trailer, your Ranger would be fine. The auto's don't like doing much in OD, and really the drag on the highway will probably play a larger roll on transmission strain than the weight (thanks to it being enclosed).

I like trailer brakes, and feel they should be run reguardless. 2,000 lbs might not be all that much, but under the right conditions... And people seem to be drawn to cutting people off who can't stop as fast. I'd look into running them.

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What kind of bikes could you fit 3 of in a 6x10? Maybe dirt bikes. My parents have a 7x14 enclosed and they have his/her Kawasaki Vulcans (dad's is a 1500 Nomad and mom's is an 800)--they're both about 41" wide, 99" long and 800#/650#. They put them in one behind the other at an angle.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
What kind of bikes could you fit 3 of in a 6x10? Maybe dirt bikes. My parents have a 7x14 enclosed and they have his/her Kawasaki Vulcans (dad's is a 1500 Nomad and mom's is an 800)--they're both about 41" wide, 99" long and 800#/650#. They put them in one behind the other at an angle.
Well obviously you can't put them all right next to eachother, and I can't think of any bike nearly 10' long, or 8' for that matter. there's plenty of room to put one in the back in some sort of configuration, either sideways or backwards. I had 2, 3 person couches and 2 very large office desks on mine and had room to spare, none of which stacked.

He said all 3 weighed 900lbs combined, so I don't think they're very big.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Those would have to be tiny bikes to be 900 combined. Even my Rebel 250 is comfortably over 300lb's wet.

warrior24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I towed my dads 83 chevy Scottsdale more times than I can count when its refused to start or stalled. But not up any hills, I hated it when he would slam the breaks cause he thought I was going to fast, talk about whiplash. You should be fine.

Droidac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I found this on the Ford website, which gives the towing ratings for all trucks back to 2002 - www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/default.asp

This raises a question for me. I have a 2009 Ranger with 4.0 and 5 speed manual. Can anyone explain why there's such a big difference in the towing ability between and auto and manual trans? This has me concerned a bit - is the tranny in my truck not very strong? Or is the clutch the weak link? Is there any way to increase the capacity for a 5-speed? What do you guys think is the "real" max capacity for the 5-speed?

All thoughts are welcome!

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
It's clutch related. If you're smart about it, feel free to use the automatic weight limit as a guide.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals