• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Trans swap dilemma

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Got a dilemma for you guys. I have an '84 B2 with a 2.8 that came with a 4 speed which is now toast. I also got what I think is an FM145 or a TK 5 speed...didn't have time to determine which yet. I also have an A4LD from another B2 that I could swap in.

First off, the 5 speed I have may be no good. The input shaft moves up and down a little bit. I don't know how much is too much here...I have heard that a little play is OK, and also that any play is a unacceptable.

So I could either buy a clutch and slave cylinder, and see how long the 5 speed lasts. Or buy a radiator and swap the automatic in. Neither option sounds particularly appealing at the moment...so what do you guys suggest?

If the 5 speed died, an M5OD could be swapped in, right? This is supposed to be fairly low budget so I can have something to drive around town that has more than two seats.

Last edited:

Talus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
If the 5 speed died, an M5OD could be swapped in, right? This is supposed to be fairly low budget so I can have something to drive around town that has more than two seats.
Heh, I would just keep the two seats idea because then we have to take someone elses car to go somewhere, which isnt on my dime, even though manuals are cheap. I guess I am too. :icon_rofl::icon_bounceblue:

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
man iam looking for the opposite of what you have.. i have a fm145 out of my 85 b2 with the clutch pressure plate and fly wheel.. my mud truck has an a4ld with no reverse an i really would like to keep the auto due to the amount of water i go through but i kept the 5spd as a back up

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I don't mind the 2 seats when I don't have my kid with me. His car seat is frickin huge though.

My problem is that I am cheap and have a lot of questionable parts. I already have four other money pits...don't need a fifth :rolleyes:

2ranger87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Either way, regardless of which tranny you use, unless you install another tk4, you'll be changing clutch hydraulics, lengthening/shortening driveshafts, repositioning the crossmember/skidplate, etc..........

And swapping in an a4ld, IMO, is a step backwards.......

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals