• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Equus Fuel Gauge Bouncing

Hitchner2009

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I installed an aftermarket $30 equus fuel gauge on my 87 ranger. Works great aside from the fact that it jumps all over the place when the vehicle hits bumps,etc. As the fuel sloshes around it causes it to jump. I have no idea how to fix this. My factory gauge failed, and they dont make replacement oem gauges for my 87 of course. Any help would be great! Need to stop it from bouncing. Getting ready to haul with the truck and the fuel gauge has to read correctly, because idk what kind of fuel mileage I get when hauling, and I'd rather not run out of fuel due to a gauge bouncing all over giving false readings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looking at their site I'm assuming you installed either the 7361 or 9361 gauge in your truck. As those are the only two that work with Ford.

Did you check that the ohm's reading where compatible with this gauge.

Looking at the instructions PDF and reading some of the FAQ. I would recheck your ground and signal wire to the unit. Did you run a "new" wire from the gauge to the sending unit or use the factory wire. I would run a new wire. I had the same thing happen many years ago on a old Toyota truck I was rebuilding.

Also are you sure that your original worked and it was not the sending unit.

I really like there gauges. Better than Sun-pro and look a lot like Auto meter but without the cost.

Hitchner2009

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wired it right into the sending unit wire that comes up underneath the firewall. I guess I will run a better ground and then make a dedicated ground for the pump as well. I have the 73 ohm full and 10 ohm empty gauge for my truck

Hitchner2009

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
do you think its also possible to wire in a resistor on the sending unit wire to slow or stop all the bouncing movement????

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm not really sure about the resistor. But might work. I would first install a new wire from the sender to the gauge. I believe that there is already a resistor in the cluster that may be interfering with your reading.

You have the right Ohms to work for the gauge so I'm thinking it's the sending wire.

Hitchner2009

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i dont have the gauge hooked up to the cluster, its all by itself. and the gauge in the cluster is completely disconnected. But i will try that new wire and a run new grounds as well.

Hitchner2009

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
just installed new grounds and re-ran a sender wire. And it still does the same thing, i know the sender is good, because i installed it not too long ago.

So i know now, i need to rig something up to slow down the needle movement. Im thinking a Diode, Capacitor or a Resistor???? I have no clue what to do here and i cant possibly be the only one to ever experience this problem haha.

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well a diode only lets voltage run one way. A capacitor stores electricity. So the only way to do what you want is with a resistor, what value and all I do not know.

Also the gauge could be bad. Just because it's new doesnt mean anything...

Hitchner2009

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i hear ya, im just spitballing ideas and getting feedback to help me decide. looks like its just going to be trial and error.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Have you tried talking to equus? I have no idea of how this stuff works, would there be some type of mechanical resistance in the float arm that's loose or missing?

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Adding a resistor will simply change the value on the gauge, it won't slow the motion any. (It will also make your gauge inaccurate.)

The first place to start is: Is the problem in the gauge or the sender?

The gauge may be perfectly fine, and if the sender is bad and sends a bad signal up the line then it will follow that signal.

Get an analog multi-tester (with a needle scale), set it to 100 ohms or something, and connect it to the wires from the fuel level sender (disconnect the sender from everything else)(you may need some long additional wires for this). Then drive around and see if the needle bounces. You shouldn't really be able to see it move at all, unless you drive for a half-hour or more.

Hitchner2009

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Guys, its not the sender. I just put the sender In not a few months ago, sender is fine, its already been checked as well. Trying to figure out why this stupid gauge is doing this. When all other components are fine.......

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals