• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

stupid snap ring

truckguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
there is a snap ring you have to take off to get to your wheel bearings, ball joints, ect. when you take the outer hubs off it is the next thing to remove. i couldnt for the life of me get this stupid thing off with snap ring pliers and picks but i dont know what else to do. any suggestions? any help is appreciated
thanks

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If you can get it open or compressed far enough if your real careful center it and gently work it off. If the tips on the snap ring pliers are worn slowly file a little so it can grab the ring and hold it on. are the tips pointin out for outside or in for inside. I pulled a OMC out drive apart and needed to make some snap ring pliers out of a large set of needle nose pliers by filing the tips to an angle that pulls the ring on it as you compress it the key is getting it far enough to clear the shaft and carefully pull it off without touching anything they can be a biotch. good luck be careful

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Its just a pain. Its been a while since I've taken mine apart, but if I recall I used a 1/8th screwdriver, two 90* picks, and a lot of patience.

Use one pick to pull it down and out a bit, shove the next one in a little further along, and then jam the screw driver in between them and move on until you get it out the whole way. It's a pretty crappy design. The cage nuts and cotter pins are much better.

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
Alright I didn't read anyone elses reply, and someone may think this is really bad to do but...It worked for me. Position the c clip so the opening is up. Put the tips of the jaws of a needlenose on them and smack the back with a dead blow hammer prefferably. You could also use one flat screwdriver and smack one side really hard really quick or use two screwdrivers to immitate needlenose. This will get the clip halfway off, you can get a screwdriver behind the other half and pop it off the spindle, but put your hand over it so you dont lose it.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If it's a c-clip with no holes I do as Nathan123 suggests and put bent-nose needle nose pliers so the tips contact the edges of the clip and hit the pliers with a hammer. It takes a little practice but I can do it now in just one or two tries. Keep an eye on the clip, not the hammer, so you don't lose the clip.

Richard

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Pia

If you are gonna do the Ball Joints on a TTB - the passenger side half shaft needs to come off --- this means you are dropping the front DS, pulling the front axle off the TTB frame and removing the clip that holds the HS in.. If I were you I would make sure to check out the Tech Article on Eliminating the C-Clip. Jus my $0.02

For me I did BJs on Driver Side and no issues removing the HS. This passed wkend I did BJ on Pass Side and sawz'd the shaft off so I cud complete the job I started (needed to as B2 is my DD and the lower BJ was separating)

So now I needa HS DOUGH!

truckguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for all the help i'll let you know how it goes.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
If you are gonna do the Ball Joints on a TTB - the passenger side half shaft needs to come off --- this means you are dropping the front DS, pulling the front axle off the TTB frame and removing the clip that holds the HS in.. If I were you I would make sure to check out the Tech Article on Eliminating the C-Clip. Jus my $0.02

For me I did BJs on Driver Side and no issues removing the HS. This passed wkend I did BJ on Pass Side and sawz'd the shaft off so I cud complete the job I started (needed to as B2 is my DD and the lower BJ was separating)

So now I needa HS DOUGH!
No need to remove the passenger side axle from the differential to replace balljoints buddy.... the passenger side axle is 2 pieces and slips apart to remove it from the knuckle to do the balljoints...sorry for your luck.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size

So now I needa HS DOUGH!
Wait... you cannot be serious... or we are missing some information here. WHY exactly did you cut off the shaft? The ONLY logical reason to do that would be if it's rusted together at the slip yoke, I really hope that is the case here!

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I own a bunch of snap ring pliers and have never used them for the axle shaft ring...

I use TWO blade screwdrivers.

one to hold one end of the ring still and the other I use to push the free end of the ring off the shaft....

Once that ring moves more than about 1/4" you can then get a screw driver between the shaft and the "Belly" of the ring.

That ring doesn't need to slide off the shaft as it's only purpose is to hold the splined washer in place and keep tension on the spindle back-side seal.

AD

truckguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
got it off on the second try. Now im having trouble getting the spindle off. any suggestions for that?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Dead blow hammer or BFH and a 2x4. Sometimes it takes a lot of time to work it out of the knuckle. DO NOT damage the part of the spindle that the wheel bearings ride on! Wire wheel the spot where it goes into the spindle and use anti-seize for easy dis-assembly in the future.

What Allan said about the two flat blad screwdrivers works great BTW, not that you needed to know at this point though.

truckguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
which part do i hit?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Which part do you want to take off? Hit that.

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Wait... you cannot be serious... or we are missing some information here. WHY exactly did you cut off the shaft? The ONLY logical reason to do that would be if it's rusted together at the slip yoke, I really hope that is the case here!

Yep it was a special move.. but I tried like hell to get the yoke in the center to come out and no dice... It was getting dark and I needed to use the truck to get to work the next day so I sawzd it :bawling: NOT what I wanted to do.. believe me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals