• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how to get to valve covers

Robbie Thoreson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87 94
Make / Model
Ford Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi all, I'm just wondering the easiest way to get to the pass side valve cover. I have a 85 bii with a carbed 2.8 with ac. Do I realy have to pull the whole top of the motor apart to change the valve cover gasket?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If it still has all the computer crap yes it is a pain in the ass. Once you get the wires, vacuum lines and thermactor out of the way then you need to pull all the bolts. The two next to the firewall are studs you need to pull the nuts off first and then remove the tranny oil fill tube if it is an auto tranny. You stil wil have to fight with the cover to get it off. Are you just fixing an oil leak? Another common leak is the distributor O-ring and alsoit may be leaking out the intake manifold in the valley between the heads and the block. Once you can get your hand back there clean the area real good on the back bottom of the intake manifold with gas or acetone then run a bead of permatex #2wher the manifold meets the block and heads and and with you finger squish the permatex in the crack. that forces it through the leaky gasket and forms a plug on the other side. Then oil the new distributor O-ring and put it in. I allways turn the rotor faceing straight back toward the firewall when I pull the distributor so you can put it back in correct the first time. Its probably a good idea to adjust the valve lash while you have the covers off, not that hard to do just takes a little time. Stick a long skinny screwdriver in the #1 plug hole and turn the crank so the rotor is close to 11 oclock you should see the screwdriver stop going up. Adjust the two lifter according to spec then just follow the firing order put the screwdriver in the nex plug hole and turn the crank clockwise until it is at the top and adjust those valves. I believe it is 1-4-2-5-3-6 for the firing order ?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Disconnect the batter if your gonna adjust the lifters intake is .014 and exhaust is .016 if you use a spark plug wire gapper you will be more accurate. I just use a socket on the crank bolt to turn the engine over.

Robbie Thoreson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87 94
Make / Model
Ford Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm actually pulling it to adjust the lifters. I got a good deal on the truck a couple months back bc it sounds like a diesel idling. Iv already done the drivers side ones, just figured I'd ask if anyone knew any tricks to getting at the pass side.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
No tricks just a biotch.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
when i did my valve cover gaskets i just took out the bolts and pulled off the valve covers and scraped the heads with a razor blade to get the remaining gaskets off. it was easy cause i took most of the a/c junk off my rig. having the compressor out of the way makes maintenance a lot easier :)

Robbie Thoreson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87 94
Make / Model
Ford Ford
Transmission
Manual
Iv thought about stripping the engine bay but this was my grandpa's truck and its git almost 0 rust on it witch is hard to find up here in n.e. Wisconsin. So I think I'm going to go full restoration in the future. It will make it a lot easier.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
you can pull some of the vacuum lines off and unplug some of the harnesses to make it easier but after taking the VC bolts out just give it a couple of tugs and convince it to come out. don't be too afraid to hurt anything but don't over do it lol.

Robbie Thoreson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87 94
Make / Model
Ford Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well once it warms up to above 20 around here ill get at it.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
it's 20 here and still too damn cold to be outside touching anything metal lol. sucks the heat right out of your hands.

Robbie Thoreson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87 94
Make / Model
Ford Ford
Transmission
Manual
I totally know how that is. Where you at?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals