• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2004 Ranger - Lower Control Arm Crossmember Rotted - Replacement Options?

punk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I picked up a 2004 Ranger Edge in early December for a good price and just recently found the lower control arm crossmember is pretty badly rotted and I'm trying to get an idea of what replacement options I have.

I went to a local frame repair shop and was quoted ~$1,800 to have it replaced with a whole crossmember from another truck (but he's having a hard time locating one in decent condition). Is there any aftermarket replacements available or is it possible to order this part new (doubtful as it's welded to the rest of the frame).

Here is a [pretty bad] picture of the carnage:

https://i.imgur.com/ckt3CNf.jpg

I know it's a bit difficult to see where that is, so I circled it on picture I found on Google. The part I have circled is the front side, the rot on my truck is on the back side of that crossmember in the circled area.

https://i.imgur.com/zbIvz6d.jpg

Any thoughts or ideas would be helpful.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
How mechanically inclined are you? I think I would buy a rollover and swap bodies. Or part it out and use the money for another truck. It looks like you were sold bad goods, you may have recourse if it was knowingly sold that way, especially if it was a dealer.
That sucks.
Good luck,

Richard

punk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
How mechanically inclined are you? I think I would buy a rollover and swap bodies. Or part it out and use the money for another truck. It looks like you were sold bad goods, you may have recourse if it was knowingly sold that way, especially if it was a dealer.
That sucks.
Good luck,

Richard
Thanks, I'm mechanically inclined enough along with my family so a swap like that wouldn't be a big concern. I was just hoping there was a more "off the shelf" type of replacement that was available. I've searched around but haven't been able to find anything really and figured I would ask on some forums as I'm sure you guys are far more familiar with the trucks and parts availability.

I'm not really interested in recourse as I definitely should have looked it over better myself. Everything I could see from bending/kneeling down on the wet/muddy ground in December looked fine; it wasn't until I was under there to replace an endlink that I noticed it. The truck was almost an impulse buy as I needed another vehicle to drive daily while my car was getting a rebuild; the price was right and it appeared in good condition. Guess I learned my lesson there :black_eye:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can't say there isn't oem or other replacement parts made. Perhaps check Dorman, they seem to have lots of stuff. It's getting the correct name to do the search that may be hard.

punk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I can't say there isn't oem or other replacement parts made. Perhaps check Dorman, they seem to have lots of stuff. It's getting the correct name to do the search that may be hard.
This is exactly what I was looking for; never came across Dorman in my searches. I have OEM part numbers for the frame so I can start there.

Thanks!

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
I seen ads In MA Craigslist. There is a guy selling 98 and up frames in Weare, MA. Good luck.

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
Try lmc truck they have all kinds of goodies but as far as finding one id go with the post above find one thats smashed in the rear and cut off and replace

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
O and dont forget the SAS option [emoji3]

punk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
O and dont forget the SAS option [emoji3]
SAS? Sorry, I'm from a different car world so if that's a truck or TRS forum thing I have no idea what it is :dntknw: I'll check out lmc truck as well, thanks!

Thanks, Andy, I'll take a look around on CL.

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
SAS = solid axle swap drop in a dana 30 jeep lots of build threads on here

punk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
SAS = solid axle swap drop in a dana 30 jeep lots of build threads on here
Got it, I'm also not afraid to mod :icon_thumby: Thanks for the replies thus-far, I've got plenty more research to do now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals