• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

changed transmission and transfer case fluid

Mike Tonon

07 Ranger 4x4 4.0, 5-speed manual, 43,000 miles

Transmission fluid was changed at about 25,000 miles, was dark red, but clean looking. Again at 43,000 miles, this time, again dark red (like cranberry juice), but clean. Drain plug magnet had the common fuzz on it. It shifts noticeably smoother. Less chatter and the truck seems like it rolls smoother. Refilled with Motorcraft Mercon V.

Transfer case fluid was like used motor oil and smelled somewhat like gear oil, but was thinner. Refilled with Motorcraft Transfer Case Fluid.

Easy to do, my guess is changing both about every 25,000-30,000 miles is ideal, from what I've seen. I'm going to upload a video or two on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mnbI62UJnE

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
This is a 1354 transfer case ? I thought they took Mercon?:D

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Motorcraft transfercase fluid is Merc V with limited slip friction modifier in it. That's why it smelled like gear oil.

Mike Tonon

Used to be Mercon for steering, transmission and transfer case. Mercon is no longer made, Mercon V replaced the transmission and steering fluid, 'Transfer Case Fluid' replaced the transfer case fluid.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Thanks for schooling on 1354. So instead of using generic Dex- Mercon I should be using better stuff with FM in it. The 1354 is a spool not an LSD isnt it.? No axes to grind, just curious..

Mike Tonon

Thanks for schooling on 1354. So instead of using generic Dex- Mercon I should be using better stuff with FM in it. The 1354 is a spool not an LSD isnt it.? No axes to grind, just curious..
Actually, I don't know. I hope I used to right stuff, lol.

Mike Tonon

Update - transmission now shifts like it used to, but for a day or so after the fluid change, it shifted really smooth.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals