• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking for some HP gain on a 3.0 engine

Eduardo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So I´ve had my 3.0 (automatic) Ranger with me for 3 years now, and even though it runs pretty decent, as guys we always like the idea of more power, better acceleration etc. I thought about selling the truck and get a 4.0 Ranger (manual if possible) and start adding performance parts but the thing is, this truck has already a sentimental value and if I could I would rather keep it for a long time and make it some sort of project. So I wanted to inquire if there is room for improvement with a 3.0 engine? i mean I don't want to have a beast of a truck, I am only looking for a decent gain in horsepower through performance plugs and cables, air intake, crank pulley and that sort of things, probably rebuilt the tranny (transgo kit) or even a turbo maybe? I wouldn't want to go through an engine swap either i believe is too much of a hassle. Fortunately I have enough money to start buying parts and since my intention is to keep this truck for many years it does not really matter how much I invest in it. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to fairly increase HP or if the turbo idea is just silly, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

forzda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 mazda B300
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
there isnt much you can do to the 3.0 , there are lots of threads on this , if you want more get up and go you have 2 choices , put in a 5.0 or go the turbo 4 cyl route .

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
So I´ve had my 3.0 (automatic) Ranger with me for 3 years now, and even though it runs pretty decent, as guys we always like the idea of more power, better acceleration etc. I thought about selling the truck and get a 4.0 Ranger (manual if possible) and start adding performance parts but the thing is, this truck has already a sentimental value and if I could I would rather keep it for a long time and make it some sort of project. So I wanted to inquire if there is room for improvement with a 3.0 engine? i mean I don't want to have a beast of a truck, I am only looking for a decent gain in horsepower through performance plugs and cables, air intake, crank pulley and that sort of things, probably rebuilt the tranny (transgo kit) or even a turbo maybe? I wouldn't want to go through an engine swap either i believe is too much of a hassle. Fortunately I have enough money to start buying parts and since my intention is to keep this truck for many years it does not really matter how much I invest in it. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to fairly increase HP or if the turbo idea is just silly, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Easiest and cheapest thing to do is do an engine swap. Otherwise you can spend a grand on doodads and bolt ons that MIGHT get you 10 hp.

Eduardo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for your replies.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They used to make supercharger kits for the 3.0...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Key words "used to".

The 3.0 is worthless in a truck. It was one of the dumbest things Ford did because it has the power of the 4 cyl and the fuel economy of the 4.0. It sucks even worse with the auto trans. It is a car engine and hits it's peak performance above 3000 RPM.

If you are wiling to screw around with a turbo but think an engine swap is too much hassle then you have your cart before your horse. While an engine swap is a lot of work it is more work and money to get your current engine ready to accept a turbo. A lot of things will have to be custom made.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They used to do lots of things, like make Ford Rangers.

There are millions running around so I don't think they are exactly "worthless" A simple bang/per buck upgrade would probably be to regear the rear axle to get the engine in its happy place. One thing that Ford got really stupid with in the 90's was thinking that every engine made the best power/performance/economy just off idle going down the highway.

My parents '94 Explorer (with a 4.0) got its butt kicked on every hill with 3.27's and stock tires, if you are running something similar it would take quite a swap to overcome something like that.

Unless you go boost or NO2 (and there is little of that available off the shelf for a pushrod 4.0) there isn't much more aftermarket stuff for the 4.0 than there is the 3.0.

Last edited:

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
They used to do lots of things, like make Ford Rangers.

There are millions running around so I don't think they are exactly "worthless" A simple bang/per buck upgrade would probably be to regear the rear axle to get the engine in its happy place. One thing that Ford got really stupid with in the 90's was thinking that every engine made the best power/performance/economy just off idle going down the highway.

My parents '94 Explorer (with a 4.0) got its butt kicked on every hill with 3.27's and stock tires, if you are running something similar it would take quite a swap to overcome something like that.

Unless you go boost or NO2 (and there is little of that available off the shelf for a pushrod 4.0) there isn't much more aftermarket stuff for the 4.0 than there is the 3.0.

Nuh uh you can get universal turbo kits, NOS kits, theres electric turbos, chips, hood scoops, CAI, etc...you can totally add all the HP you would ever need! :headbang:

:icon_rofl:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Upon reading that again it sounds like I am implying that that stuff is available for the 3.0 but not for the 4.0, I don't think much of either is available off the shelf for either engine nowadays.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As long as your expectations are realistic, there are things that can be done to get more performance from the 3.0. What are your goals for these mods, what do you do with the truck and what is your budget?

Here's what I would suggest.
1.Stay away from fancy spark plugs and "performance" plug wires or coils. Rangers have really good ignition systems from the factory, and nothing you're suggesting would require an upgrade.
2. Do the Throttle Cable Mod. It can be the biggest bang for your buck mod on a Ranger with higher miles since it costs just a few pennies. Search around for specifics on what it does.
3. Stay up on maintenance.
4. If you still want more, an underdrive crank pulley, and e-fan conversion can be done in an afternoon for a couple hundred bucks and gave me a noticeable improvement in acceleration as well as fuel economy. It doesn't turn it into a fire breathing monster, but there's a definite improvement.
5. Check your gear ratios. Having the right gear ratios for what you do is critical. It can be pricey to swap, especially if you have a 4WD truck, but it can improve acceleration and/or fuel economy.
6. Higher lift Roller rockers are a nice bolt-on that have shown some fairly significant gains on the 3.0. Most sets bolt on in pretty short order, but be sure to check fitment because a lot of guys try to use rockers designed for other engines and they can cause serious problems.

Start with the free stuff, then make sure the truck is healthy, and go from there. There's a lot of info to search through on this type of stuff in the 3.0 section.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ya got to look at the time and money you have for it. Boost is expensive.

4.0 swap is probably less expensive than building-up the 3.0

Then guys do a 302 swap as well.......................

Might be easier to get a Ranger with a 4.0 and sell yours.

Mitch is spot on for a few things you can do.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
You can drop a crapload of money but it won't make a lot of difference. My wife used to have a 3.0 Taurus wagon and it was a slug too.
The wife pulls out in traffic:
My son: "Floor it!"
Wife: "I AM!"
True story.
I agree with all of the above. Keep it in tune, fluids changed. Don't bother with a cold air intake, the stock intake is already cold air. Get a little higher gear like 4.10. Cat-back exhaust will pick up a little. That's all I got. The 3.0 is a low-stress car engine with ancient OHV technology that doesn't make enough power to hurt itself. The upside is that if you just keep it in tune and change the oil and coolant appropriately it will run forever. The rest of the truck will fall apart around it long before the engine itself expires.
My first Ranger was a '99 4x4 SC with a 3.0, 5 speed, and 3.73 gears. Total slug and downright unsafe on the hilly highways we have here in PA. Good on gas for a 4x4 though.
My second Ranger was a '02 4x4 SC with a 4.0 SOHC, automatic, and 4.10's. It was a rocket by comparison but mpg was a lot worse.

Last edited:

Eduardo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank for this great information.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
The only things that will give some HP gains will be a great exhaust system and run a better air filter setup and get a plug in programmer. I know two 3.0 owners who did this and the results were very good. They had auto trans and they shifted really good and I was surprised how much the motor worked better. They put around $400-500 in the trucks and they still have them and they still run great for a 3.0. Midas did the exhaust on their trucks. Midas did my 99 Ranger and that was a good setup for under $200 (single setup) Flowmaster. They put on a new pipe from front to back and fit the exhaust as stock even with my lift kit and BL it came out really clean.

If you want to keep that 3.0 then spend around $400-500 and see what you think. You can get plug in programmers on Ebay. Not chips!!! Programmers

01b3000ds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
As long as your expectations are realistic, there are things that can be done to get more performance from the 3.0. What are your goals for these mods, what do you do with the truck and what is your budget?

Here's what I would suggest.
1.Stay away from fancy spark plugs and "performance" plug wires or coils. Rangers have really good ignition systems from the factory, and nothing you're suggesting would require an upgrade.
2. Do the Throttle Cable Mod. It can be the biggest bang for your buck mod on a Ranger with higher miles since it costs just a few pennies. Search around for specifics on what it does.
3. Stay up on maintenance.
4. If you still want more, an underdrive crank pulley, and e-fan conversion can be done in an afternoon for a couple hundred bucks and gave me a noticeable improvement in acceleration as well as fuel economy. It doesn't turn it into a fire breathing monster, but there's a definite improvement.
5. Check your gear ratios. Having the right gear ratios for what you do is critical. It can be pricey to swap, especially if you have a 4WD truck, but it can improve acceleration and/or fuel economy.
6. Higher lift Roller rockers are a nice bolt-on that have shown some fairly significant gains on the 3.0. Most sets bolt on in pretty short order, but be sure to check fitment because a lot of guys try to use rockers designed for other engines and they can cause serious problems.

Start with the free stuff, then make sure the truck is healthy, and go from there. There's a lot of info to search through on this type of stuff in the 3.0 section.
This ^ is wonderful advice.

If #6 strikes your fancy, I would suggest a look at http://www.moranav6racing.com/category.html?CategoryID=36 Port and polish will get more air in for more fuel to mix with for more power; just make sure the exhaust gasses can make their way out as easily. And yeah, the stock air box with a reusable filter is fine.

If you do the throttle cable mod (check on that; you'll be surprised. I was), do the IAC recalibration.

I also noticed a big difference when I went to 31s to match my 4.10 rear end (4x2 MT). check your axle code...and see if they'll fit in your wheel wells.

my 2001 b3000 has the aluminum intake manifold that gets connected to the heater lines. bypassing that has worked nicely for me. I've also increased my spark plug gap, cleaned my throttlebody and IAC valve, checked my idle, swapped out my o2 sensors. I've considered defeating my EGR system as well, but the Jury is out on that and certain people will tell you not to do it (I kinda think it's a massive built-in and factory programmed vacuum leak, but I'm no automotive engineer; It may need to be there for something more than emissions). Looking seriously at the e-fan, underdrive crank pulley and 180 degree thermostat...and a few other things as well that don't go over well on this forum. Inbox me for those. Oh yeah, synthetic oil...always! And a proper Seafoaming of your engine and fuel system never hurts once a year...I've found it works better when I use one of the vacuum ports close to the throttlebody rather than the common brake booster line, but as with all of this YMMV.

Also keep in mind that deviating from the factory design will keep you tinkering in the engine bay constantly. If that's your bag, and you're up for REALLY getting to know YOUR truck, I say go for it!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals