• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger CAD data

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Been some time since I have been on old TRS.

I know this is kind of a long shot, but I'm looking for some 3D CAD of a 2nd gen Ranger. Just want something as a space filler and visual reference as I design up my exo-cage. Planning on pulling measurement from my actual rig to design around, just want something for reference. Also trying to get out of doing it myself. Modeling up the cab that is.

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Ya, I did come across that site. Seems like you have to pay for the model and didn't see any 2nd Gens.

After looking around for some time I was reminded of the formerly know, Google Sketchup, now just Sketchup. Downloaded it for free and looked through the library of models and found a decent 2nd gen ranger. Made some modifications in sketchup and exported the file as a .wrl. This file format can then be opened in actual CAD software, Solid works, Cero, ect. I use Creo 2.0 at work and thus at home for government work.

The only thing with importing the .wrl is that it renders a faceted dummy surface that can not be modified. Thus, modifications must be made in Sketchup before exporting .wrl file. But it does give a good visual reference.

After pulling measurements from my actual rig and setting up my model skeleton for designing the cage the Ranger reference was scaled appropriately. Cross referencing points on the Ranger reference and actual real world measurements verified the visual reference is very close to actual.

I will post up some pictures later this week.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would like to see that.

Sent from my XT1032

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
So here is what I have so far.

Since I have not been on here is so long here is a reference picture of my rig. Granted this picture is old, there have been some changes and the cab is WAY more dented now:icon_twisted:

Assembly skeleton. Solid datum features, datum lines, planes, points, coordinate systems, ect. A lot of this is not shown in this picture. All data pulled from my actual rig.

Ranger cab imported from Sketchup.

Full assembly skeleton and cage.

Just cage.

Top view

Tubing is 1 3/4" O.D .120" wall DOM. All bends 6" radius. Green details are laser cut tie in plates. Cage will bold up to front winch verticals and rear bumper. As I want to keep the front winch and rear bumper removable. Frame tie plates will be plug welded and perimeter welded to frame, with tube being welded to them. Theoretical weight is 230 lb.

Still need to work on the tube doors. Want to have a swing out tube door that will retain full function of the OEM doors. A few more runs of tube my be added for more front end body tree sliding ability. Also depending on FEA results tube structure may change a bit.

Cant wait to start building this summer:icon_hornsup:

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm no expert but have looked into cages quite a bit before having mine built for me. I didn't trust my welding skills and didn't have a bender.
However, it's all about triangulation.
1]The two parallel bars roof top should go to the node at corner of main hoop and uprights.
2]Add a bar from the top of the front main hoop to floor foot area....unfortunately you can't do that if you keep an opening stock door.
3] If you can pick up the suspension mounting points on your rear bar it adds some strength, and think about that when positioning the rear main hoop as well as shock mounting.
4] 5-point harness bar? My personal opinion is it should be at shoulder height, I don't want a compressed spine in a rollover. The lap belt is what keeps you in your seat, the shoulder belt keeps you from kissing the dash.

There is some pics you may be interested in from my build thread; http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79003 - post # 22,82,129. The vid of me upside down shows the attachment point for the front cage hoop. A 2x6 comes out at an angle welded to the body/frame mount for extra support.

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
it's all about triangulation. Agreed.

1]The two parallel bars roof top should go to the node at corner of main hoop and uprights. Originally I did. Yes this would be the best for giving the cage the greatest trapezoidal strength.

2]Add a bar from the top of the front main hoop to floor foot area....unfortunately you can't do that if you keep an opening stock door. Yes a fully functioning OEM door is a must.

3] If you can pick up the suspension mounting points on your rear bar it adds some strength, and think about that when positioning the rear main hoop as well as shock mounting. Essentially I am tying into the frame near or at all leaf spring mounting locations. As for rear shock mounts, already considered.

4] 5-point harness bar? Yes, thanks for reminding me. This is something I was going to integrate.
Thanks for the input. Its always good to have another set of eyes look over things. And again, this design is still dynamic. I will be refining it for a month or so before I start to actually bend up tube. Also as I stated the tube layout can change pending FEA. Finite element analysis, computer aided stress strain calculations. This will allow me to see how the cage performs under defined loading scenarios. I am trying to design and build a cage that will hold up, but not add major wight at the same time.

I deal with material properties, machine and structure design for a living, although this is my first cage I have designed.

Any other feed back, keep it coming.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Another possible iteration would be to run the top parallel bars to a single center point on the main hoop and then put the what is now the cross bars from the outer main hoop corner nodes to the new center node. So instead of an x you have an upside down v. It may save a couple feet of tube and is still triangulated. I have a feeling that the connection half way up [or down :) ] the rear stays isn't the best but there are always desgn compromises [re; tool box].
Edit; and maybe run a single bar across the top and then invert the windshield v, saving yet another few feet of tube.
Also, another thing to keep in mind is that the seat and harness should also be fixed to the frame like the cage. You don't want the seat attached to the body where it can move different in relation to the cage and harness. Of course these are considerations to be taken at the higher levels of competition, if you are thinking of doing so.

Last edited:

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Update.

This is what I currently have. Theoretical weight, 270 LB.

Still need to work out the tube doors................

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals