• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4" Lift - drive shaft too short??

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Im lifting my bronco II. Using stock ranger blocks and explorer leaf springs to get around 4" lift.

Im at the point of bolting everything back together. After a hell of a time dealing with leaf spring bolts and everything I have FINALLY gotten to the point of reattaching the axle with the U-bolts.

It seems like the axle will not go back far enough with the lift though. The blocks/leafs are not lining up with the axle locating pin or whatever its called. I have the crappy CV-style shaft. I know these are no good with a lift due to the angle put on the CVs... But can it also stop the axle from moving far enough back to be put together??

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Attach axle and THEN attach driveshaft. Is this the stock axle? Ranger axles have the spring perch in a slightly different position.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
From my b2 thread, read post 10;

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98389

After driving it for awhile it seems like the perchs are offset to one side. if I was to do it again I would shift the axle to the drivers side a little, measuring would be best but I would guess 1/2". It's long gone so I'm working from failing memory.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Attach axle and THEN attach driveshaft. Is this the stock axle? Ranger axles have the spring perch in a slightly different position.
EVERYTHING is stock except the leaf springs and blocks.

Leafs are from a wrecker from a 93 or 94 Explorer I wanna say. (definitely a 94 or early one at any rate.)

blocks are from an early 90s 4x4 Ranger.

Driveshaft and axle are both stock. As for reattaching drive shaft first...It hasn't been disconnected as of yet. That was going to be the next thing I try but I figured I would ask here before I started on that...

Last edited:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Here is what it looks like on the Drivers side. Left side of picture is to the front. So as you can see the axle needs to shift towards the rear of the vehicle some. The passenger side looks even farther out.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Did you maybe switch sides with the blocks?

sent while sitting on the throne

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As long as the pins line up the axle will be in the right spot. Its something that's puzzling me too.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A 2" block made my original CV shaft click like mad. I mean like a playing card in a bicycle wheel.

So from that, I'd say 4" of lift is too much for stack shaft.
If you go to JBG (Jeffs Bronco Graveyard) they lengths of their shafts and you can measure your BII to see if they will fit.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
As long as the pins line up the axle will be in the right spot. Its something that's puzzling me too.

The holes in the axle are not far enough back to line up with the holes in the block/leaf.

A 2" block made my original CV shaft click like mad. I mean like a playing card in a bicycle wheel.

So from that, I'd say 4" of lift is too much for stack shaft.
If you go to JBG (Jeffs Bronco Graveyard) they lengths of their shafts and you can measure your BII to see if they will fit.
On this note can anyone point me in the right direction for getting a new one then?

Is getting a Ranger shaft from a JY shortened the easiest option? Would that have all the right connections? Or does having the CV shaft currently mean I need to get more than just the shaft?

Bronco II shaft seems to be 30" while a Explorer Sport (2dr) shaft is 33"? So that would be too long and not have the right connections due to the b1354 t-case?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals