• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Driveshaft Question

Niles1321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey, I'm new to the forum, recently started dumping money into my BII, heres a little background info on my truck before I ask my question.

It's an 88, 2.9 5 speed. I bought it from the origional owner who bought it new and only used it as a farm truck. It has 23000 original miles. I'm 100% sure its not 123000 because he had every single DATED maintenance record when I bought it.
My question is:: I'm swapping the D28TTB out for the 35 TTB. What is my best option for a driveshaft? I've searched the forim a little and couldnt find a great answer but im sure its out there, I'm just not good at searching yet im sure. I know there is an option to shorten the stock one, but I was wondering if there are any other options.

I also have some new coil springs for an 04 F250 (i think they are 2004). Anyone know anything about them in a BII???

Thanks in advanced.

Ryan

I'm a mechanic so hopefully ill start helping some people out with generic questions, not just asking bronvo specific questions!:icon_cheers:

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Depends on the transfer case you have. If you have a manual transfer case with the slip yoke stye front output you can use one out of a 90 Ranger with a 4.0 as long as it has the slip yoke also. If you have the auto transfer with the bolt up flange use one from a 91-94 Explorer. May even be able to swap the rear yoke of the shaft to the style you need as long as it is the correct length but I'm not sure about that option.
Paul

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Chances are you have a 1350 tc. I would take your shaft to a driveline shop and have it shortened 1-1.5". That would be much easier and cheaper than finding and swapping transfer cases and driveshafts.

Niles1321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I do have the manual transfer case. I guess ill look into having the front DS shortened about 1.25 inches... Do i have to re-gear when i finish with the 35 swap? What year explorers are best to get the 35 from?

You guys are awesome, thanks for the quick responses.

ryan

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just pull one that has the same gears your running now.

Niles1321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
unfortunatly, My bronco has 3.45's. which blows cause from what ive researched, explorers never came with them... Am I correct?

Last edited:

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you put a detroit in there, you still need gears. May want to go ahead and pull the 8.8 out of the same Explorer.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you put a detroit in there, you still need gears. May want to go ahead and pull the 8.8 out of the same Explorer.
If you can find a good quality Explorer, take the whole drive line and swap it overtime. Better engine, more power, better tranny (if you get the m5od (manual)), better axles...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals