• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Alignment of a TTB..

Jim2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
I know most people will say to just go to a shop, but that's not gonna happen.

I got T-boned at the track last weekend, and the right support arm is bent at the top where the camber adjustment bushing is.

So I removed the bushing and turned it around.. got most of the camber back, but the caster is gonna be off now.

Here's a couple of "before" pics.. you can see where the bushing is already coming out a little.

This is after I turned the bushing around. The pin is a little more forward now..

Does anyone know the torque specs for that nut? I cranked it down pretty hard, but it's tough to get the bushing pressed back in. I might have to put the bushing in the freezer before I try again..

I'm thinking about cutting the 2 tabs off, so I can rotate the bushing to get the caster back.. and then adjust the other wheel to match.

I'm learning as I go on this one, and would appreciate any advice....
but mostly I'd like to know the torque spec for that nut. Thanks!

Jim

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
85-100 ft-lbs.

I don't know if that's going to stay together though... You need a new axle beam for that, that one looks pretty messed up.

Jim2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
85-100 ft-lbs.

I don't know if that's going to stay together though... You need a new axle beam for that, that one looks pretty messed up.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it! :icon_thumby:

The races don't last too long. Heat races are 5 laps, the main event is 10 laps.... it's a small track, laps take about 40 seconds. ... I think I got a few races left in this one.

Eventually I want to swap to a Dana 35. I hear it's pretty much a direct bolt up if I can find the right year Explorer... but money's tight, so I gotta make this work for now.

I thought about trying to bend it back, but I'm still not sure if that would weaken it more or not..??

This baby has some potential though, can't wait till the next one! :D

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
well, if you have a torch set you can heat it up a bit and that'll help pound her flat again. I'd weld a strip of reinforcement steel around it. I'd suggest doing it while the ball joint is in it otherwise it'll bend the hole all out of whack.

I guess if it's a race-only truck...

Jim2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
well, if you have a torch set you can heat it up a bit and that'll help pound her flat again. I'd weld a strip of reinforcement steel around it. I'd suggest doing it while the ball joint is in it otherwise it'll bend the hole all out of whack.

I guess if it's a race-only truck...
I have a little mapp gas torch, but no oxygen.. not sure if it will help much..

I like the idea of welding some reinforcement in there. My neighbor has a stick welder, but it's been years since I tried to use one, and I never was all that good at it in the first place.. might be time to learn again..

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
X2 on welding some reinforcement steel on there somehow.

Also, not to be Mr. Obvious, but be sure to get a cotter pin back in that thing.

Jim2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
X2 on welding some reinforcement steel on there somehow.

Also, not to be Mr. Obvious, but be sure to get a cotter pin back in that thing.
Absolutely! The old one is shot, just never got a new one yet..

I might even put a locknut on top to keep the threads clean. got a feeling I'll be messing with this more than once..

For those two tabs that the bushing locks into, I think I'm gonna just cut them off so I can adjust the caster angle a little..
By the time it's all pressed together, I can't see how it's gonna go anywhere.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals