• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Adding Autometer gauges

clubracergt1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Since I hate factory Ford gauges (temp only shows cold to hot and oil pressure that reads "good") I am adding Autometer temp and oil psi gauges to my truck. I am curious, though, if I will be needing metric adapters for the senders. I will be replacing the factory units with the Autometer ones. Has anyone done this on a 3.0, and did you need adapters? I am just trying to have everything I need before I get started. BTW, it's a 3.0 (non-flex fuel) in an '03 Edge.

Thanks in advance.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Only the oil pressure "switch" needs to be changed to a Sender.
The senders are usually larger so need an adapter and extension.

But I would leave the switch connected so a "T" needs to be used, this keeps the "low pressure" warning light working, which can mean the difference between a total rebuild or just adding some oil.

You will need to run a new wire for both unless you want to pull the dash, and perhaps add a diode to the temp sender wire to the new gauge, senders are Variable Grounds, adding another potential ground via the second wire could cause both temp gauges to read incorrectly, diode isolates that.

Temp sender is a sender so does show actual temp if calibrated on new gauge accurately.

In '03 most threads will be metric, but Ford, and other auto makers, do throw curve balls at us just to keep things interesting, lol.

clubracergt1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I will be replacing the factory temp gauge sender and the oil pressure switch with the Autometer units. The stock water temp simply bottoms out when unhooked. The oil pressure is on a gauge as well-not a light. I am not concerned with what that gauge does. I just don't trust gauges that simply show a 'normal' range. I like numbers. That's why the Autometer. As for pulling wires, I am fine with that. To keep it clean, though, I might use the factory wires, and just pull them from the back of the cluster. Again, I don't care if the stock gauges don't work correctly. I have to pull the cluster out, anyway, to fix a loose LED.

For the metric threads, that's what I am afraid of. The gauges came with SAE adapters, but not metric. Time to order more stuff.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Here is the dash wiring for 2003 ranger 3.0l

No dash warning light for oil, so not an issue.

Lots of metric/sae adapters just for what you are doing, common swap to get "real" oil pressure

Attachments

clubracergt1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, Ron. I've got an Alldata subscription to help me out as well. And, my metric adapters showed up today. Guess I know what I'm doing Saturday.

clubracergt1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got the gauges installed, and ended up not needing the metric adapters. The ones that come with the gauges are sufficient. I must admit, though, that installing the oil pressure sender was a joyous exercise in working by feel. Thank goodness this wasn't my first rodeo. Now, I just need to decide what to do about the factory gauges. I knew that they weren't going to work, but I forgot about the "check gauge" warning lamp in the cluster. When it's not raining, and I'm off work, I am going to see what happens when I just ground the stock oil psi sender wire. (Small things for another day.)

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
I forget what ohm but you can wire in a resistor in where the factory gauges used to connected to the factory sender and the go from there to ground. It will make the gauges "read" normal as soon as the key is turned on. I've been meaning to do mine( Just got done installing my boost/oil/temp gauges). When I find out the resistor value I will post it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals