• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 3.0 swap update not good

tonyd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
What did I do wrong? Started truck after a perfect engine swap and a dreaded grinding noise from the trans. When the engine was out, I rotated the torque converter several revolutions while pushing in and it didn't move in at all so I thought it was seated. If it wasn't seated I thought when I installed the engine, the two wouldn't come together. When putting the two together, I rotated the crank and the two went together like a peanut butter and jelly sand. No squeezing or fighting. After putting in the trans bolts, the torque converter bolts tightened right up. I thought everything was good. I installed a new starter during the swap, and pulled it and the tops of a couple teeth were chipped. I did put the two together while the trans was in neutral. Could that have been the problem? Its the only thing I could think of. Whats going on? What are my options?

bucko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Are you sure the starter you used as the replacement was the correct one for the engine/transmission combo you now have? It's obvious you know where the grinding noise is coming from with the starter teeth being chipped. Is the flex plate correct? Is the transmission a '98, and compatable with a 3.0? Looks like you have a '98 truck, and swapped in a '98 3.0, but what was in there before this swap engine wise? I'm wondering if the flex plate of the new 3.0 is not right for the starter you installed...or maybe the starter itself had the wrong gear installed....take it out and compare it with another.

The starter usually bolts up within the engine block towards the flex plate...could the starter have been installed a bit crooked/cocked up or down causing the teeth to not mesh with the flex plate teeth?

Last edited:

txgocartB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Long time since I worked on an auto trans.

There are several steps that the torque converter must be recessed into.

I always spin/turn the converter a gazillion times, pushing while turning to get the full seating.

Sounds like that might be an area to look at.

Ray

tonyd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I used the flexplate from my 98 engine on the 99 3.0. If, I seated the tc any deeper then I did, the studs wouldn't be sticking out beyond the fllexplate enough to puts the nuts on. While wrestling the old starter back into the trans, that square cornered positive terminal poked a hole in the oil filter and with the oil dripping in my face I called it quits for a while. Ill do a little more research and get back to it. Keep all the suggestions coming, Thanks

Last edited:

tonyd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Could I have used the wrong flexplate? I did swap the flexplate from my 98 onto the 99. On the large spacer that the mounting bolts went through one was stamped 1 and 3 was stamped on the other.

tonyd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Pulled trans. Flexplate bolts were loose. Lets try it again. Thanks for all the help guys. You did everything but get the bolts tight. Im learning

moonbeam

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Curious, what if anything did you have to change from the 98 engine over to the 99 engine? I have a 98 4X4 that I'm finally get back to. It has a bad engine and I've found a 99 engine with everything including wiring harness.

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals