• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cooler line size after swap

Joebones

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
OK Here is the deal, I swapped an a4ld from a 1994 Explorer into my 1986 Bronco II when the trans quite. When i did the swap I changed the cooler line size on the new trans (was 3/8 adapted it down to 5/16) so that I could get the vehicle back on the road. My question is this with this smaller line size am I restricting the flow or is it OK?
Second question, should run my cooler lines through the rad or not? (This is mostly for off-road.

Thanks

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I can't tell you if the 5/16 line will work.I can tell you having any kinda restriction on the tranny cooling system makes more pressure behind the seal at the torque converter.The seal has the pump on the backside goes through the cooler and feeds the tranny.To much pressure in the system will push the seal right out of the seat or roll the lip of the seal.If this happens you are now a pedestrian at the end of a 11 quart oil spill on the road.

saskbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Presumably the larger line in all later a4lds were designed to get better cooling and extend the a4ld's (typically rather short) lifespan.

If you're looking to do a rad swap to get bigger ports on the rad, 88 or later should be candidates (at least, that's when rangers switched over: I assume BIIs also.) I think there was some discussion elsewhere that early explorer rads are bolt-in but you apparently need to grab the bottom hose for the swap. I'm guessing later (88+) BII's and rangers (up to 92 anyway?) would work - 2.9s anyway, 4.0s maybe - need confirmation or extra vigilance when inspecting potential donors.

Have also heard using only external oil coolers can be problematic in really cold winter weather, as the stock (in-rad) cooler actually helps the tranny oil steal warm-up heat from the coolant under these conditions. If this is not a concern where you live, external cooler (w/ large lines) might be good idea.

Lastly, a question for you: Have you figgered out a fix yet for swapping a 3-wire tranny into a 2-wire truck? If so, what are you doing for converter lockup control? (I am considering a 94 Aerostar 4.0 A4LD (2wd) swap into my 87 ranger, so am quite interested in this thread and your swap)

Last edited:

Joebones

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The third wire in the 3 wire setup is the 3-4 hostler inhibit solenoid so it's not a big deal run it through a switch to the ground and your golden.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals