• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Some Clutch Advice Needed

driehldeal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Long time lurker but i've used this forum tons of times to help me out with various issues in the 4 ford rangers ive owned. (1992 4cyl, 1993 4cyl, 1997 4cyl and 1996 4.0 v6)

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone in this community that has helped me so far!

So, now to my question, Its about my current ranger, a 1996 XLT 4.0 4x4.

I was out having a few drinks with the boys and when I went to pull out of the parking lot of the establishment I noticed I didn't have any pressure on the clutch pedal. On the way there (~6 miles) I didn't seem to have any issue. The pedal has always been hard the fluid always full. I pulled over thinking it was a leak somewhere, (i've had it happen in the 1992 and the 1997) only to find the fluid was full but jet black. I know it wasn't black last week for SURE.

The guy I bought it from (1 year ago) said he replaced the slave cylinder shortly before he put it up for sale. So I'm hoping that's a bit ruled out.

The pedal is weak but once in 1st gear I can shift to all other gears (hard but possible). I drove the truck the 6 miles home (2 stop signs that no police officer was by thank god).

I'm just wondering where to start on this this, my first instinct is the master cylinder but I'm not sure why the fluid would be back.

Thanks guys, you are always so helpful!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Make sure its not the black rubber gasket/seal that has pulled down with loss of fluid, especially if you checked at night.
Edit; in the master cylinder.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals