• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'96 4.0l into '93 4.0l body

nasum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Hey RangerStation gurus,

First off, this is my first post here, so please forgive any errors in forum protocol. I tried my best to search for answers before I posted this, and ensure it's going in the right forum, but I could be wrong in both. Apologies in advance, and thanks in advance for any wise words/wise redirects!

Anyways, as the title mentions, I just got my hands on a '96 B4000 donor truck with a solid engine, but wrecked auto trans. My daily is a '93 B4000 with a high mileage, valve ticking, oil burning engine, but solid manual trans and body.

Simply put, I'm hoping to get the '96 4.0l out of the donor truck and into my '93. My question to you gurus is how different are the wiring harnesses/computers for these two engines? How much do I need to take out of the '96 for it to work in my '93?

I'm concerned it's not going to be quite as simple as a disconnection of the '96 4.0l, pull it from donor, and reconnect into my '93 body (I would love to be dead wrong about this, though, haha), but how different are these two beasts?

That's the base question, I guess. I could throw down a bunch more background information and questions, but don't want to make this post any longer winded than it already is. Thanks again!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Should be a fairly straight forward swap.

You will remove the valve covers, upper intake and the Cam Synchronizer on the '96 4.0l.
You will use the valve covers, upper intake and the Cam Synchronizer hole PLUG from the '93 engine.
Valve covers are optional, but I would change the gaskets, they do leak.

Ford changed the Crankshaft/flywheel bolt pattern on the '97 4.0l, but '96 is getting close, '90-'96 used 6 bolt pattern, '97-'00 8 bolt pattern
Hopefully the '96 has a 6 bolt, you would need to get an 8 bolt flywheel if that happens
Change the rear main seal when swapping flexplate for flywheel.

Good read here on the changes in the 4.0l OHV engine: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/40rebuild.shtml

Last edited:

nasum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Awesome. This should give me a solid base to work with/parts to keep note of when starting the pull on the '96. Thanks a lot Ron.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Removal of the cam synchro and replacement with the drive plug is optional.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals