• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No start is it my chip key?

Raynman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
99 Ranger 3.0 flex fuel 2WD

The simplest way I think I can ask this question is this: How can I tell if my chip key is still working? Does the THEFT light behave a certain way? I have a no start, and changed fuel pump/filter checked inertia switch, etc. I want to be sure my chip key is still working.....any help is greatly appreciated

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Anti-Theft light will flash rapidly if PATS key doesn't pass the test when you turn key on.
I believe it will come on for 3 or 4 seconds and then go off if key does pass the test.
Anti-theft light should flash every 2 to 3 seconds when key is off, visual deterrent to theft, so if thats not happening then bulb could be burned out

I assume no start in this case means the starter motor is working but engine is not firing up.

yes the PATS(passive anti-theft system) does disable fuel pump and fuel injectors if PATS key doesn't pass the test.

You should hear the fuel pump come on for 2 seconds each time key is turned on.
Fuel pump is powered by a 30 amp fuse in engine fuse box and the Fuel Pump Relay also in the same fuse box(FP fuse and FP relay)

Computer won't turn on FP relay if PATS key doesn't pass the test.

Many auto parts stores and most locksmiths can test if a PATS key is broadcasting its code number, it doesn't mean that key will working in your truck just means it isn't "dead"
It doesn't need a battery, it is an RFID tag so gets its power wirelessly, from the ignition key slot

Last edited:

Raynman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
wow, so helpful. I am going to see if PATS is working. So I can eliminate the key as possible cause. Yes, truck cranks, but no start...did this three weeks ago, i found plugged fuel filter, changed it and it ran great for three days, then no start again. I thought I could hear FP energize, but still not pumping fuel. I'll keep posting.

Raynman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, PATS is functioning normal. truck starts with starting fluid. Tried so far...new fuel pump, filter, relay, fuse. Thinking of bypassing inertia switch now...if possible. Switch is in normal(down) position....running out of ideas.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just use a test light or volt meter for inertia switch, the inertia switch is a pass thru for 12volts, one terminal is hooked to FP relay, the other terminal is hook to fuel pump.
So Ground test light or volt meter to cab ground, then test if one terminal gets 12volts for 2 seconds when key is turned on, then test the other terminal the same way.
If both terminals show 12volts for 2 seconds then inertia switch is OK.

Just as a heads up, the computer monitors the inertia switch power, so when key is on after that 2 seconds you will see 5 to 7 volts on both terminals(if switch is good), that's just computer's monitor voltage, but it has no AMPs so can't run the fuel pump

Why was filter clogged?

Pump is not quiet, leave radio off :), open door and turn key on and off several times and listen for the pump.
It will run for 2 seconds each time key is turned on, and no this will not hurt the pump or system to do this.

If filter got clogged from something in the tank then 3 days or so might be about right for it to clog up again.
I would pull it off again, then put a bucket down and turn the key on and off again and have a look at the fuel coming out.

When you changed the pump did you see the "sock", in tank filter, and was it clean, or did pump come with new filter?

Also just to take it off the table, pull off the gas cap, if you hear alot of air being sucked in when loosing cap then EVAP system and vent may be the problem.
The EVAP system sucks air out of the tank when engine is running, prevents gas fumes from polluting our air :)
If carried to the extreme then it could cause an air lock, so much suction in the tank that gas can't be pumped out after awhile.
EVAP is suppose to vent the tank before that happens.
You should usually hear some sucking noise when you open cap to fill up but just a little.

One more thing while we are at it :)
Non-Motorcraft fuel pumps don't have the best track record with Rangers, 3 days may be a new record but just because it is a "new" pump don't think it must still work because it is less than a week old, could even be wire pulled loose on the top of the tank

Last edited:

Raynman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So here's the history. About three weeks ago (went on July 4th vacaction) truck died suddenly. I did the test to start with starter fluid, and it started, but didnt run. towed it home, and pulled the filter to see if fuel was coming out. slow trickle...turned on key and heard pump, but no fuel coming out. Removed filter completely, and turned on key again, and fuel shot out. GREAT! replaced filter and truck started and ran. This was on an Airtex replacement fuel pump from 5/2015 with 10k miles on it. Changed filter then too. fast forward to 6/30/16 My son was driving truck one day later, and experienced no start again. I was 400 miles away, so it had to wait until i got back. Towed home again, swore i heard the fuel pump energize, but not pumping fuel. Arranged to buy new Airtex pump, and return "defective" pump for credit. $220 more bucks i can hear relay click when key is turned on, and fuel pump is still energizing. i am getting no fuel right at the first connection out of the top of fuel tank, but pump is energizing..i blew air through fuel line from top of tank to inlet of filter,....... it's clear.... .what gives??? i am stumped. If fuel pump is energizing and coming on for the 2 seconds when key is turned on, why no fuel shooting out at first fuel connection at top of tank to metal fuel line??

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals