• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wire harness help

Ford maniac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 99 ranger 4x4 with a 3.0, I had to swap out the wiring harness because mine shorted out and melted several wires together in the harness. I got one out of a 98 explorer 4x4. Most of the connectors fit with the exception of a couple because of the year. My problem is that when I try to start it nothing happens. When I turn the key everything comes on but when I turn to the start position, nothing. I can deal with the little things that are wrong but would like to get it running again. Any help on wiring diagrams or possible things to check would be very much appreciated.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You may have a bit of a problem.

1999 Ranger will have PATS, passive anti-theft system, which shouldn't have starter interrupt, 1998 Explorer may have, not sure.

But in any case you will have a Starter Relay in the engine fuse box.

When you turn the key to START 12volts, from Fuse #24 in cab fuse box, will go thru the Clutch switch(manual trans) or Neutral switch(automatic) then to the Starter Relay in engine fuse box
Starter Relay,..... this relay is either Grounded locally OR the PATS module Grounds it, anti-theft part.

Starting backwards on the wiring.
Smaller yellow/light blue stripe wire on the starter motor goes to Starter relay in engine fuse box, <<< this is the wire that needs 12volts when key is turned to START

Starter relay has a Yellow wire connected to 50amp fuse in engine fuse box, this fuse has 12volts 24/7, all the time, it powers the yellow/light blue wire when relay closes.

The starter relay then has tan/red stripe wire that comes from the clutch or neutral switch, it will have 12volts when key is turned to START if..........clutch pedal is down all the way or Automatic is in Park or Neutral.
And a Black wire, this is the Ground for the relay.

So tan and black wires cause relay to close when key is turned to START

When relay closes 12volts on the Yellow wire is connected to the yellow/light blue wire which activates the starter motor.

A white/pink stripe wire runs from fuse 24 in cab fuse box to the clutch or Neutral switch.
Fuse 24 gets 12volts from key switch when turned to start on a Red/light blue wire.

So you have 2 separate circuits
Key switch---------fuse 24-----------clutch/neutral switch-----------Starter Relay------Ground ??

50amp fuse--------Starter relay------------starter motor-----ground

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Um, 99 Ranger 3.0?

98 Explorer?

Explorers didn't get 3.0s. They had 4.0 and 5.0 that year. Are you sure your issue isn't caused by having the wrong harness?

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Which wiring harness piece(s) did you swap? Dash, underhood or both?

Assuming Dash:
Both '98 Explorer and '99 Ranger should have type B PATS, but you need the PATS box from your '99 Ranger for it to work.
PATS box will be over passenger's airbag in dash.

Assuming under hood:
You need to retain the '99 Ranger 3.0 engine computer - '98 Explorer won't be compatible.

Hope this helps.

Ford maniac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I replaced the dash harness. Mine was melted together by an exposed wire touching another one.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Find the PATS box on your Ranger's wiring harness (says anti theft on it, was over passenger's air bag). Remove passenger's airbag, remove Explorer PATS box; replace it with the Ranger one, reinstall passenger's airbag.

Then at least the "guaranteed" issue is removed. Unfortunately, I only have the EVMTs for the opposite combo - '98 Ranger (which doesn't have PATS here in Canada) and '99 Explorer as I added PATS as part of the V-8 swap... (And Power Windows, Locks, Mirrors while I had the dash out anyways...)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals