• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Largest tired a 2.0l can handle

Joel34

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just purchased a 1986 ranger with the small 2.0l 4 banger with a 5 speed manual. I'm in high school so with out spending too much money I wanted to put larger tired on it. I was wondering if anyone knew how big I could go without putting too much strain on the engine.

Wheel size,ford ranger, 2.0l,

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Hi Joel, and welcome to TRS~!

Aside from what the 2.0 can push around, the restriction on the tire size without rubbing inner fenders or other body parts is probably around a 235/15...maybe a bit bigger like 245/15...you've probably got 14" rims on it if it is in stock configuration so not sure what sizes are available for 14"...I heard somewhere that they were doing away with 14" tires for trucks altogether (for Canada maybe).

As for what the engine will push...depends on how tired the engine is...as in how many miles and how much punishment it took over the years.

Part of that depends on what rear gears you have...and you can find that out a few ways, but the easiest way is to look for a sticker in the door that tells you the axel size...maybe in code like 86 or 87...but there is a chart in the Tech Article section that tells you how to read those codes.

And I guess it depends on what you plan to do with those tires...and whether you should be doing that for any length of time...mostly because you can wear out or break that little 2.0 much faster in some ways as others...

Sorry, I can't give a straight up answer for your question because there are just too many variables...someone else might pop off an anwer for you though...but give us more information and we can guide you better...

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I would just keep the same size tires. If you really are looking for cooler looks swap out the wheels, or paint them...maybe all black or do something you really would like the looks of. If you are in school and getting good gas mileage right now, I would not swap to any larger or taller tires than you have now. Keep the gas mileage the same and the power ratio the same. Adding larger/taller tires can cause things to break and you need something reliable right now. Later on when money is flowing in, fix it up the way you want to. That is what I had to do when I was younger.

Dprocks100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
First, it depends on what gears you have at the moment. Do as Mark_88 says and look up your axle code. you don't want to be putting larger tires on an axle ratio that cant take it. Thats the fastest way to break something or kill your little 2.0. I use this page a lot when trying to find what tires are best for my ratio or ratio for my tires. I personally try to stay in the high green areas as to not put too much strain on my engine as I have the 2.3.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/gearandtirechart.shtml

The next thing is that the tires have to fit in the space you have. First and second gen 2wd don't have a lot of room to run "bigger" tires, or a size needed to fit an all terrain style tire. anything over a 225/70r15 is going to rub, some people have mannaged to fit 235/75/r15, but I rubbed with 215/70r15 when I hit speed bumps and such. 4x4 gives you a bit more room, but not a whole lot more.

Probably just a good idea to run what you have until you can lift the truck or regear the axle.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Joel34:

3 questions:

1. 2wd/4wd?
2. Define bigger tires: wider? taller? both?
3. Budget (time/money/ability)? Are you willing/able to swap gears?

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
First, it depends on what gears you have at the moment. Do as Mark_88 says and look up your axle code. I use this page a lot when trying to find what tires are best for my ratio or ratio for my tires. I personally try to stay in the high green areas as to not put too much strain on my engine as I have the 2.3.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/gearandtirechart.shtml

Probably just a good idea to run what you have until you can lift the truck or regear the axle.
If you (or anyone) PM me with email address, I will send you a little excel spreadsheet that will calculate tire diameter from tire size and give you engine rpm with various diff gear ratios using those tires.

Joel34

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Joel34:

3 questions:

1. 2wd/4wd?
2. Define bigger tires: wider? taller? both?
3. Budget (time/money/ability)? Are you willing/able to swap gears?
2wd I would like both and I wouldn't really love to swap gears but if I had to I suppose I would. Time isn't an issue and around 300-400$ I guess.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
on a bone stock 2wd gen 1 ranger, ive been able to fit 235/75/15s with only minor rubbing when turning while flexing the suspension, normal road use and strait lines pose no problems.. but 225/70/15 are probly the best, i highly recomend finding a 4.10 ratio axel if you have a 2.0, it'll be ALOT more peppy-er...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals