• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how does eec iv know piston #1?

whitebroncoii87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
bronco ii
rang
Transmission
Manual
Hi, i can't figure out how eec iv know piston #1 for vehicles with tfi ignition. But it must know in order to drive the fuel injectors in a proper order right? But how does it know?

Die.Fledermaus

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.0 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
0"
Tire Size
215/75-15
Its a batch fire system, totally normal for no position sensor.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
It goes off of the sensor in the distributor, not too complicated

Die.Fledermaus

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.0 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
0"
Tire Size
215/75-15
Not for him, no order-not sequential-batch fired FI, no sensor.

whitebroncoii87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
bronco ii
rang
Transmission
Manual
i'm aware of the hall effect sensor inside the distributor creating on/off signals from the rotation of windows and vanes, but how does eec distinguish from these pulses which ones are #1? unless one of the windows is a different size but aren't they all the same for tfi systems?

Die.Fledermaus

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.0 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
0"
Tire Size
215/75-15
It doesn't, no cylinder sensor, like engines driven by cap and rotor points systems #1 is determined by which way the rotor points.

Your ECU also only has two fuel injector circuits and more than two cylinders. No need or possible use for crank position/cam position sensors.

whitebroncoii87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
bronco ii
rang
Transmission
Manual
yes, no crank position sensor. but isn't there a PIP signal in the tfi connector and does that get generated by hall effect?

so what cues eec to open injector #1?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Your EEC doesn't know when #1 intake valve is opening, and it is not needed.

With TFI system the TFI module just sends the PIP(Profile ignition pickup) signal to the computer(EEC), this signal is from the sensor in the distributor and tells the TFI when rotor is pointed at a spark plug wire on the cap, there is no special pulse for #1 TDC on power stroke, like you have with a Crank Position(CKP) sensor or a Cam Position sensor(CPS), the TFI module just fires the coil, and spark goes where rotor is pointed.

The EEC(on a V6) will open 3 fuel injectors on each PIP, well just before the next PIP when intake valve is open.
Injectors 1, 3, 5, and then 2, 4, 6 will alternate for each PIP, this keeps the lower intake full of air/fuel mix that can be pulled in by any cylinder on it's intake stroke.

So EEC doesn't need to know when #1 is at TDC power stroke, neither does the TFI module, the rotor needs to point at #1 spark plug wire at that time but that is set manually by the owner, along with base spark timing

This is called Batch Fire injection as others have said, opening multiple injectors at the same time, this was the first step in fuel injection, one step up from a carb.
A carb kept intake full of air/fuel mix all the time, Batch Fire is similar but just the lower intake and because of Feedback from O2 sensors less fuel could be used.

Sequential injection was used to lower emissions and increase MPG, there is no real performance gain, and if EEC on sequential system "gets lost" it will switch to Batch Fire to keep engine running.

My 4.0l uses EDIS so has a CKP sensor and knows when #1 intake valve will be open, but it still uses Batch Fire, because it has the EEC-IV(pre-'95) which were generally setup to be batch fire only, although some Mustang EEC-IV computers did have the 4, 6 or 8 fuel injection wires/connections required to operate each injector independently.

If you look at your fuel injection wiring you will see all have a red wire, that's the 12volt power they get when key is turned on.
Injectors are opened by the EEC Grounding them.
If you see that each injector has a different colored 2nd wire(ground wire) then you have sequential injection, if you see only 2 different colored 2nd wires shared by the 6 injectors then you have Batch Fire, your EEC only has 2 grounds to control 6 injectors.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Despite all that is still needs to know when it sees cylinder 1 come around. It just doesn't care about which stroke it's on.

Cylinder 1 is identified to the computer by it's window on the vane wheel in the distributor being larger than the others.

On newer engines that use a crank sensor they do the same thing. The trigger wheel on the crank has 35 teeth and a spot where one is missing. The missing spot being lined up with the sensor corresponds to cyl 1 being at TDC.

whitebroncoii87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
bronco ii
rang
Transmission
Manual
Cylinder 1 is identified to the computer by it's window on the vane wheel in the distributor being larger than the others.
that being the case doesn't it mean i have to match my #1 spark plug cable to the #1 window in the vane wheel? But I never had to do this.. That's where I am very confused..

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
that being the case doesn't it mean i have to match my #1 spark plug cable to the #1 window in the vane wheel? But I never had to do this.. That's where I am very confused..
That is why I avoided that part...............

The distributor shaft is machined so rotor will only go on one way, the sensor wheel will also only go on one way, so they are matched, yes the sensor wheel/vane/tone ring does have a #1, and it is matched to the rotor.

When you time the distributor so rotor is pointed at #1 spark plug wire when engine is at TDC #1 power stroke, everything is good to go.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Sorta, kinda, yeah-ish.

The proper procedure for spiking the distributor is to have the engine with cyl 1 at TDC on compression stroke before putting the dis down, and to have the rotor pointed at the #1 position when the dis is fully down. If you do that then you have matched the wheel to the plug wire like you said, you just don't think about it that way when you do it.

As Ron pointed out, the rotor only fits on the shaft one way, so getting that screwed up should be a non-issue. Basically if you can manage to put that rotor on backwards, you can probably shoot yourself with a bow and arrow.

whitebroncoii87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
bronco ii
rang
Transmission
Manual
ok, so rotor and #1 window are structurally pointing the same way and cannot be altered so i don't have to think about it. got it thanks!

so tfi is batch fire, cylinders at a time? i haven't checked if mine has shared return wires like ron said, but if injectors #1,3,5 opened and only #1 sparked, what happens to the gas that got sprayed into 3 and 5? never got used? how does this make sense?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yes, if you shoot yourself with a bow and arrow...I want pictures...:)

Sounds like you've got it down now...when I started doing the timing on my 2.3 I was totally confused about how it all worked...but it is as simple as the rotor only goes on the shaft one way...the shaft of the distributor at that end is cut almost in half right at the top so plopping the rotor on can only be done one way...unless you've got the wrong part to start with...that can confound you even more...

It's all simple...but...there is one thing you need to watch out for...and that is the spiral twist of the rotor when you insert it into the hole where it belongs. This takes a few tries to get right but it can be done. The key to doing it all is marking where the #1 piston is in relation to the distributor...mark it on the intake so you know that when you insert the distributor and it twists into place, it will point at that mark...and, of course, this is making sure that the #1 piston is TDC and ON THE COMPRESSION STROKE...

That's really all there is to it...

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
so tfi is batch fire, 3 cylinders at a time? i haven't checked if mine has shared return wires like ron said, but if injectors #1,3,5 opened and only #1 sparked, what happens to the gas that got sprayed into 3 and 5? never got used? how does this make sense?
Your's has shared return wires. All 2.9s were batch fire. To do sequential fire you need a crank and a cam sensor so it can judge the compression stroke, you only have a crank sensor.

The fuel sprayed to cylinders 3 and 5 will get used eventually. Those valves have to open at some point.

If you are worried about it being wasted, or getting worse fuel economy for having batch fire, don't. The 4.0 used both methods and the earlier batch fire engines consistently get better mileage than the sequential fire ones.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals