• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Speedometer needle rests below zero

jackryan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello,

I tried researching this and come up with a lot of information for older Rangers (pre 2000) and mine is a 2011 so I assume things will be different. Apology if this has been answered and I missed it in my searches.

I bought a 2011 Sport Ranger 4x4. The guy who owned it before me must have lived on a dirt road because there was lots of dirt, dust, and crud behind the instrument panel lens (plus lots of scratches on the lens itself.) I was replacing the lens with a brand new shiny one and decided to clean the instruments themselves.

Like a dummy, the rag caught on the speedo needle and bent it downward. I reset it and it seemed to work fine. Parked the truck, it returned to zero and phew crisis avoided...or so I thought. The next morning went out to the truck and the needle was resting on the bottom. Speedo still works but reads well below actual speed.

I figured the best way to fix it is replace the cluster with a used one. It seems like a simple plug-and-play swap and there are many used ones out there to be found. But I have some concerns...

1. Will a used cluster affect the computer or the key chip in any way?

2. Will the odometer read the mileage from the source truck or is the mileage stored in the computer somewhere?

3. Any other concerns or issues I might have with this?

Thanks a ton for any help or advice.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals