• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1996 for ranger 2.3L possible upgrade

haizrail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've been thinking about replacing the motor in the truck and I am very green when it comes to motors and motor placement and what is compatible and what's not, when it comes to vehicles. But I'm looking for a new motor that'll fit into the truck that will double the power and torque. Because I feel that the four-cylinder lacks on both of these aspects. For quite some time I've been wondering if the four-cylinder motor that is in the new Mustangs would actually fit inside my Ranger. I like this particular motor because it has Plenty of power and torque and it's a lot more fuel efficient than the motor that is sitting in my truck. Furthermore, if this motor would fit and bolt into the truck what what I need to change out to make it compatible with my vehicle.

I do know I would need to change the transmission.

I was also wondering if I could take the motor out of the truck and have the motor rebuilt with all performance grade parts. And if so which performance upgrade parts would you consider to be the most beneficial.

I also, started a fourm in another section of this website and was directed to look though the motor conversions.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1591386#post1591386

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Pickup trucks by their primary use design are not efficient vehicles.
Poor fuel economy and the ride is not the best.

Rangers tip the scales at minimum 3,000LBS so alot of weight to move around even empty.
They sit high and usually have wider tires, both a loss for MPG.

Mustangs got the 2.3l ecoboost 4cyl in 2015, this is a similar engine to the one Rangers got in mid-2001 but without the "boost" and direct injection.
They are both Mazda L engines, Ranger's is called 2.3l Duratec engine or duratec 23

Not sure a '96 platform would be the best starting point, in the mid-2000's ford changed to full electronic dashes, for the most part run by the engine computer.
And you need the engine computer and wiring harness anytime you change the type of engine

I would fix up the '96 and sell it, then shop for a 2005 or later Ranger with 2.3l, that should be closer to what you want and a better candidate for the 2.3l ecoboost swap if you still feel the need.

There have been a few Rangers that got TDI diesel engines, definite plus for both power and economy, plus green because diesel engine are 35% efficient, gasoline 25%, and almost 0 pollution, almost :)
And the year of the platform wouldn't matter as much
Build thread on that conversion here: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130443

There are many upgrades for the 2.3l Lima engine, which is what you have now, Mustangs used these for many years and the Mustang forums are full of info for best upgrades for the money.

One upgrade for ANY vehicle that uses a mechanical cooling fan for the radiator, is a switch to an electric fan.
Mechanical fan pulls power from engine and lowers MPG because of that, mechanical fan runs when engine does.
E-fan is only on when cooling is needed, i.e. stopped or driving slowly, so is only pulling power from alternator at those times.
When cruising along vehicle speed cools the rad, fan is off, power is higher and so is MPG
It's about the ONLY thing that can give you more power and better MPG, lol
It ain't much, but it ain't 0 either

Last edited:

haizrail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
thank you for your response and the information I've been considering about getting a 2006-2009 but haven't came across one at a good price. I do have another forum started in another section of the website with a lot more detail mark_88 has responded as well. Now I now what to be looking for for my truck and I know what I can do with the newer rangers as well.

at the current moment I'm trying to figure out what kind of shocks are on the truck all that info is on the other forum.

the link to the other forum is
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1591386#post1591386

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals