• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pinion angle question...

2old4this

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm in the process of doing an Explorer rear swap/drop on my truck. It's a '94 supercab, and I'm putting a '97 Explorer rear in mounted on top of the stock Ranger leafs. I'm assuming that I have to flip the button that locates the axle perch on the springs, and with that the wedge shim that I'm guessing sets the pinion angle. What I need to know is what pinion angle should I be looking to have when I'm done? And also do I need to shin the driveshaft carrier bearing? If so how thick a shim?

Thanks in advance!
Pat

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
2old-----now that's somethin else I forgot to check b4 I lowered my project......I'm gonna take an angle-finder with me today & check a couple parkin lot Rangers to get the answers....will try & reply tonight:headbang:

Edit: that also explains the chatter in the drive shaft when i move the truck.

Edit: afternoon pics/diagram

This is what I got on an '89 Ranger.....hope it helps
just so happens the truck was parked in a spot where the xmsn pan was sitting level!

front piece driveshaft with 5* drop

rear piece driveshaft with 7* drop/pinion tilted up to match

angle-finder sittin on flat side of pinion/u-joint (same pic as above/same angle as rear drive shaft)

high tech drawing of results

Edit: I would think as long as the front piece drive shaft has original drop, the mid-bearing doesn't need adjusting (up or down). Now, the rear piece drive shaft would only bolt to the pinion once the rear end is rotated so that the flat area on the pinion sits at the same angle as the rear piece drive shaft. (huh?) If you're gonna set the Explorer axle on top of the leaf springs, I guess you just rotate the rear end/flat on pinion to match the rear drive shaft once they mate together (but wait til someone else replies who knows what they're talkin about.....)

Edit: I'd think the angle would be less than 7* at the pinion for your set-up

Edit: I went to the paint shop to check the angles on my 2-piece driveshaft....front piece was at 5* drop to hangar bushing and 0* from hangar bushing to pinion(u-joint). The pinion was at Negative 5*---the -5* was causing the drive shaft to chatter. I'll have to shim it to 0* to match the rear piece of driveshaft.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals