• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wanting to lower my truck...

1993rangerjwh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ive got a 93 ranger & I've heard that swapping an explorer rear end into my ranger will lower the back. Is this correct.? I'm wanting to change rear ends anyways & since I want to lower my truck I figured why not kill 2 birds with one stone. With the explorer rear end swap what all will i need to change to get it to work right.? I've heard I gotta relocate a mounting point for springs but do I still have to do this if I want to lower it.?

JoshT

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just installing the explorer will lower the back end around 5 inches. To use the Explorer axle with the Ranger springs you will need to reverse the center bolt on the spring, it's the only bolt on the spring pack that actually goes through all the leaves. The "bolt head" is round and fits into hole on the spring perch to locate the axle.

1993rangerjwh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So instead of the bolt sticking down its gotta stick up or vice versa.? Never really looked at the explorer axle so idk what it really looks like. I've been told & read that I gotta reweld a bracket onto the axle for my shocks.? Is that the case.? I preciate your help.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've been told & read that I gotta reweld a bracket onto the axle for my shocks.? Is that the case.? I preciate your help.
The Explorer axle used shocks that bolt to plates attached with the axle u-bolts, instead of a bracket welded to the axle. You can either weld a shock bracket to the axle tube, or find 2 passenger side Explorer shock plates and use those instead for a bolt on approach.

1993rangerjwh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can either weld a shock bracket to the axle tube, or find 2 passenger side Explorer shock plates and use those instead for a bolt on approach.
So if I found 2 passenger side shock plates I don't have to weld anything in place.? I just put one on each side with the u-bolts & it'll work out the right way.? Just trying to make sure I understand it all before I tackle this project.

JoshT

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yep, you understand right. I thought it required two driver side plates though.

You can see the bolt I was talking about in the below pic:

If using Ranger leaf springs you will need to flip that bolt over to match the Explorer axle. If you were to use Explorer leaf springs you wouldn't need to flip anything, but you wouldn't get as much drop either (only 2-3"). In my experience with Explorer leaf springs (on a 4wd Ranger) you probably want to stick with the Ranger springs, the Explorer springs are softer and tend to have more spring wrap.

This guide for adding an add-a-leaf will give you a good idea of how to remove and reverse that bolt. Should it break or you have to cut it, you can probably find replacements at your local parts house, I know I've seen them at several around here.

1993rangerjwh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yep, you understand right. I thought it required two driver side plates though.

You can see the bolt I was talking about in the below pic:

If using Ranger leaf springs you will need to flip that bolt over to match the Explorer axle. If you were to use Explorer leaf springs you wouldn't need to flip anything, but you wouldn't get as much drop either (only 2-3"). In my experience with Explorer leaf springs (on a 4wd Ranger) you probably want to stick with the Ranger springs, the Explorer springs are softer and tend to have more spring wrap.

This guide for adding an add-a-leaf will give you a good idea of how to remove and reverse that bolt. Should it break or you have to cut it, you can probably find replacements at your local parts house, I know I've seen them at several around here.
Okay thanks for the input. Guess I need to figure out for sure if it's the driver or passenger side plates I need before I tackle this. Maybe someone else that has done it can chime in & verify, if not guess I'll try to find 2 of each & figure out which 2 I need to get it to work.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals