• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 or 351 into '89 Ranger?

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am definately planning to put a v8 in my truck. I just have a few questions about it since i dont know alot about this stuff. My truck is a 1989 Ranger STX, 4x4 with the 5-speed standard. I dont know about the tranny, but i have a 2.9L in it now. It is my daily-driver/toy. I live in Saskatchewan (Canada), so basically all i really have here to play with is mud, snow, and whatever hills i can find :) lol

First, will i want to go with a 302, or a 351? I have heard that i should put a 302 in it, but the bigger engine is always more tempting :p. What are the advantages and disadvantages of them? I know about the gas consumption going down the drain, but how much of a difference will either make? Same with power?

Second, what do you think i will need for cash to do this? I do not have the stuff to do this myself, so i will most likely be finding someone that does to do it for me. I am most likely going to be getting a nice rebuilt engine, not just pull one out of another vehicle from a junker. So i am thinking of going to a dealership or something to get the engine? Probably not going new, most likely a rebuilt one or something. Options?

Thirdly, Will i need to change anything else out? Such as the tranny or transfer case? I dont want to get this big engine and twist out the rear end because im basically doubling my engine going from a 177ci to a 302/351 lol. I am running 235/75R15s for tires right now, and later on will be upgrading to 31's or soemthing around there. So what will i need to do, and what can i live with for now but would be a good idea in the future to do? lol

Also, if there is ANYTHING i left out that u guys ran into, please let me know. I am only 16 at the moment and this is my first truck, so you can imagine how much i know about this stuff :/. Thanks alot in advance. Just starting to save for it now so i am trying to make sure i know everything now and have time to discuss the different options i have.

TRX501RYAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
most likely gonna need a new trans t case and rear axle unless you already have the rear 8.8'' axle. im working on doing mine this winter and im currently building a 347 stroker, and im gonna go from there... i still havnt got all the answers figured out, one thing you will have to decide is weather you are gonng go carbed or injected, theres alot of things you can do, are you going for performance over a stock V8 or just the added power of the V8, most likely cheaper to find a cheap used engine for a couple hundred and have it rebuilt then to go to the dealership for a motor.

The 351 wil be a bit tighter but can be done. the 302 should have a bit more room, and has been done much more so it's easier to find the info on

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
For 1/2 the cost of paying someone to do the work you could buy one already done. Research the swaps you want to do [or have done], the more knowledge you have, the better when you go to buy or build your dream truck. Check out my build thread for a break down of cost and time spent, I could have bought twice the truck for half the money, never mind the time.
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79003
BUT I enjoy the fabrication as much if not more than the racing.
I'm contemplating a similar swap as you for over the winter. I already have bought two running full size bronco's for C$750.00 and plan to use the one with the most rust for my swap. I'll use the other to tow, should look pretty sweet. I had a b-II given to me in pieces that already has a 4" suspension lift and the body is off, should make swapping the drive-train a lot easier. I'll probably rebuild the 531W for the b-II. The 351 is taller and wider than the 302, so a body lift will make it easier to swap it in. But if I can find a truck with a 460, that's what I really want to try.
Any way, good luck with your swap.
P.S. I'd probably buy a second rvb to do the swap with, that way your not with-out wheels. Trust me on this, if you can't afford a second truck, you can't afford to do the swap.

Richard

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Create motor from Ford? Holy cow. I'd expect at least 3 grand. ~$1,500 for a reman.

I would expect at least 3 grand or more for labor cost, only, to have someone do it.

All in all, not cheap going that route.

A friend of mine pulled a 5.0L HO and AOD (but 2wd) combo from a T-Bird at the junk yard for $400 and has been running for several years and beatings. Nothing wrong with using used stuff unless it's in bad shape.

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Create motor from Ford? Holy cow. I'd expect at least 3 grand. ~$1,500 for a reman.

I would expect at least 3 grand or more for labor cost, only, to have someone do it.

All in all, not cheap going that route.

A friend of mine pulled a 5.0L HO and AOD (but 2wd) combo from a T-Bird at the junk yard for $400 and has been running for several years and beatings. Nothing wrong with using used stuff unless it's in bad shape.
Yeeaaa.... i know it'll cost that much if i go that route. But the way i see it, i'd rather spend the money now to get a good engine, than get one from a junker and have it die. As for labour, i am going to try to find someone to do it for me in their garage (basic backyard mechanic). I had someone say they would charge me about 500 they'd think. All together, i am willing to save up the money and do this as long as it stays in a somewhat decent price range. I know i cant go dirt cheap because i dont know anything myself, but as long as it stay below 3-4 grand ill do it.

As for the other comments, i am thinking i just want to go fuel injected. I heard its easier since my trucks already set up like that, idk lol. And this is going to be my daily driver, as i mentioned above, so i most likely wont be doing much performance wise. I do plan however, to completely redo the exhaust from the headers, using highflow cats, into true duals out behind both tires. And of course CAI :p

Thanks for the imput, and i am reading into this as much as i can. But so far i've only really been able to look up how much and what to do if i was going to do it myself. Since i cant do it myself, i basically have to just figure out where im getting the engine from, what engine, what to do to the engine and other drivetrain components, and hope it doesnt exceed 3 grand :S If it gets too crazy expensive, i may as well just buy a new truck like u guys mentioned before lol

purplehaze

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
351,gt45 turbo,blow thru
Transmission
Automatic
Best thing is to find someone with a rebuilt 302 thats upgrading to more power. Def go with the 302 as its just easier to deal with than a 351 fitting headers and etc. You can use you trans and t case on the 302, I bought an adapter for 302's, but can't remember company name, that was 10 years ago. And you can do a swap for way under 3-4 grand if you just take your time and find good deals. I'm under 3 grand on my 351/turbo ranger build. Good Luck

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Best thing is to find someone with a rebuilt 302 thats upgrading to more power. Def go with the 302 as its just easier to deal with than a 351 fitting headers and etc. You can use you trans and t case on the 302, I bought an adapter for 302's, but can't remember company name, that was 10 years ago. And you can do a swap for way under 3-4 grand if you just take your time and find good deals. I'm under 3 grand on my 351/turbo ranger build. Good Luck
Ya, im probably gonna spend a bit more money on getting the engine, which i dont mind. I'd rather spend the money and have the re-assurance that its good.

So with a boss 302, i wont have to worry about wrecking anything? Even under "rough" conditions...? ;) lol

Sighman

04/2011 & 04/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just picked up a new (re-built) 302 from an auto swap meet, got to hear it before I purchased, for $1000. There are deals out there if you are willing to take the time to look. This was a complete motor, intake, carb, dist, flywheel, etc. All I had to do was switch the pan, brackets and pulleys and accessories, starter, oil filter relocater.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Your comment about the boss 302 leads me to believe your still at the bottom of a very steep learning curve.
I think that your like the majority of us when we first start on rodding our trucks.... gonna get the biggest, baddest motor I can and stuff it in there! There is a whole lot more that needs doing and doing the motor first is in the WRONG order. For the price of a $3000.00 crate motor I can search Kijiji or Craigslist and find at least 6, yes, that's SIX, RUNNING, DRIVING, rbv's [rbv=ranger based vehicle IE; ranger, explorer, aerostar, mazda]. That means you have LOTS of parts for when you break something [only works if you have storage]. Pay attention to some of the build threads, there are lots of people that have over two years into their trucks, and still aren't driving them. I'm just trying to warn you from doing what I did when I was younger. If you want it NOW, it's not going to happen unless it's a hack job or you have a LOT of money. One step at a time. If you plan on paying some one to do your build, you better get a job that pays double what you plan on paying whoever works on your truck. If you can't do that, then plan on learning how to do it yourself. It's not so hard now [compared to 30+ years ago] to learn, you have TRS and all the other forums on the internet, as well as the magazines [what I learned from 35+ years ago, though there's a lot less do-it-yourself in them now] and t.v. Realistically, you'll have well over $10,000.00 into your vehicle if you rebuild everything and that's not including labor. You CAN do it for cheaper.... much, much cheaper, but you have to use junkyard parts and wheel and deal and KNOW your stuff about vehicles FIRST, and do the work yourself!
Sorry about the rant, and good luck in your build, however you decide to do it,

Richard

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
While some have over 2 years into there build (and its likely because they don't stick to the first design plans, IE well, while I'm doing this I will add this too, etc, etc, etc), other have far less time involved. I'm not bragging, but I did mine in less than 2 weeks time, and its no hack job. Mine looks factory, but that is cause I designed it that way. I knew what I wanted and planned accordingly. I will tell you the #1 Golden rule with any project, not just a V8 swap...RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!!! And when you think your done researching, research some more! I have almost 4 years worth of researching. Now while I can cut that down to about 6 months, it also depends on if you do the swap, or someone else does. My advice, do it yourself, not only will you gain the knowledge and ability to say you did it, but you will also have the satisfaction of knowing you did it and knows what it takes to fix it if something goes wrong...It only takes simple hand tools to accomplish this swap, and plenty of TRS brothers to help out for those tech questions you will have along the way...Find a motor from a junkyard or donor car with the fewest miles you can find( in your case, an F150 with manual trans,you will use both, trust me) and send the motor to a shop to have it rebuilt, same with the F150 trans if your not comfortable running it like it is, and go from there...Also, the 6 months or so that you spend researching will also be the time that you can save the money for the swap, which is what you will be doing anyway, so spend this time researching and developing a plan. I have done my swap for about a $1,000.00 US dollars and recovered about 3/4 of that by selling off the leftover parts. Your cost will be a little higher as you are rebuilding the engine and I didn't. I am however building a motor for my truck as my plan involved doing a running driving mockup, then build a motor and just swap it out. Others may disagree as to how I did mine or the way I did mine, but it was my plan and I stuck to it and got it done. Listen and take advice from those that give it, but make a decision when it comes to those that say you should do it this way or that way which will drastically alter your plan...Take your time, research, plan and do it, We are all here to help if you need it, and don't be shy at looking at all the V8 swaps done anywhere you find them, not just TRS. The more swaps you look at, the more you will learn and see which direction you want to go in:icon_thumby:
SVT

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
I know I have seen alot about v8 swaps and the likeness but with the kinda questions you are asking it would be a good idea to have at least a friend that has done this type of thing as a consultant or suggester. I would go with the 302....it has good power and an immense aftermarket and a stroker kit goes to 347 close enough to a 351....but diffrent power....... trust me it will be amazing no matter wht engine you go with......just have fun with it

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, i see what you all are saying, but that is what i am trying to do. I do not know much about this right now, and right now i am trying to plan it all out while i save. I dont have many friends that know much about this either because im still in highschool.

As for my questions about going with the bigger engine, i have had mixed comments about what i shoudl do from people in rl here. Such as how the 302 will be better because it will fit a bit easier, and how i shoudl go with the 351 because "if your going big, may as well do it bigger for the same amount of time and money". lol i am going to go with the 302. If you guys think i shouldnt need a rebuild on it, what should i make sure it has so it doesnt break down? If i buy a vehicle and plan on swapping it, i wont have near enough time to find out of it is reliable or not. Go from the mileage?

If you guys know of any places to read up on this online, or places to get parts and stuff, please let me know. And thanks for your opinions :)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 351W is more work because it is bigger.

Personally if you want a new engine, buy an engine for cheap and turn it in a core for a reman.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What part of Saskatchewan are you at, maybe somebody on here lives close to you that could give you advice and help in person. Start a thread in the Canada section of this forum. If you were closer I'd definitely give you a hand, some one else might too.

I'd be inclined to go the simpler route to start IE; 302 or cough, cough, hack...chevy small block - apparently they fit quite nice.

Richard

bearsrngr

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What part of Saskatchewan are you at, maybe somebody on here lives close to you that could give you advice and help in person. Start a thread in the Canada section of this forum. If you were closer I'd definitely give you a hand, some one else might too.

I'd be inclined to go the simpler route to start IE; 302 or cough, cough, hack...chevy small block - apparently they fit quite nice.

Richard
Eeeew, He said the C word.:icon_rofl: What ever you choose, it will be fine but take you'r time and read, measure, and research some more before you plop a lot of money into something you'r not happy with. Personaly I agree with the rest, the 302 is an easy swap due to its size and power potential. I've seen manny 02s that could keep up with or beat up on a 351 or that C motor anny day.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals