• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Want to improve trac lok

trailblazr81

Reaction score
So in my 31 spline 8.8 I have a trac-lok in my 4x4. How I got it. I'd rather have a locker but switching from LSD to locker is gonna cost money. I've read about people adding extra clutches or rebuilding the trac-lok with the steel discs and grind off the clutch material on the clutch discs. Supposed to improve lock up. Anyone try this? I want more positive lock up but don't wanna grenade my rear end.
Thanks!

Kurt.king870s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I haven't had a trac lock myself, but everywhere i've read about them, people say that they are really really good if you learn what they like. Just rebuilding it might make it act better.

My two cents.

AzLizard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 2.8
Transmission
Automatic
There is a good read under axles in the tech section about rebuilding the trac lok.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
read page 3 of my build thread, link is below. i didnt modify them at all, i just replaced the extra steel discs with clutches.i would do it again 100x before buying a lunch box, or replacing the rear end with a different one. its really easy to do.

read here, ive had this conversation before.

http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171639

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
get a spool or a drop in.

trailblazr81

Reaction score
read page 3 of my build thread, link is below. i didnt modify them at all, i just replaced the extra steel discs with clutches.i would do it again 100x before buying a lunch box, or replacing the rear end with a different one. its really easy to do.

read here, ive had this conversation before.

http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171639
Thanks! I'll probly go this route. I take it you used the standard discs and not the carbon?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I've stuffed two 8.8 limited slips all from junkyard parts... factory has clutches against clutches and steels against steels, there's room for at least two more plates (don't remember if I added steel or friction...). It works pretty well, in my old manual explorer it let the rear end of that heavy pig to slide around in the right situation and kept both rear tires turning...

I've heard of just rearranging the plates making a big difference, but while you are in there might as well stuff them...

That reminds me, I need to get some more gear oil and flush out the axle in my Explorer... 205k on original LS clutches is too much, gets to the point of killing the spider gears :)

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks! I'll probly go this route. I take it you used the standard discs and not the carbon?
yeah just normal disks, im not sure if it would grab more with the carbon disks. i thought about trying them but i didnt know if i would like the turn out. next time i do this mod itll be for a daily/winter beater, so ill try the carbon disks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals