• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fuelpump relay

riverranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi there,yea I'm one of the new kids on the block,I'm the riverranger way down on the Suwannee river.Well I have aperplexing problem,I have a 93 ranger and my fuel pump won't stay running.Yes its a new fuel pump,fuel filter,fuel pump relay,EEC relay.Now what happens is ,when the key turns on it runs for a few seconds then quits.I ran a jumper wire on the impact switch and still no change.Then ran test light on EEC test plug,then the fuel pump relay works and the fuelpump has power.I also put in new plugs,wires,throtle body idle controle PVC,cleaned oxigine scensors ,mass air flow,checked grounds and fuses.O.K. now comes the puzzleing part ,something keeps on tripping the fuel pump relay.I've run out of ideas,does anyone have any sugestions?

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 91 did something like that, except it would blow the fuse. I put a multi meter where the fuse should be and started unhooking wire connectors until the amperage dropped. Turns out it was the OD solenoid in the tranny shorting out. So i could be something completly unrelated. I would get the schematics and see what all hooks up to that circuit and start with those things.

warrior24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Dont they all do this you hear the hum then it stops?

mlb6337

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 1990 bronco11, i need to find the fuel relay block, can anyone help me, I'm hoping this is the problem, I really dont want to replace the fuel pump, the reset is not tripped.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Welcome !

Good of you to search.

The PCM relay is tan and the fuel pump relay is green. I should say their holders are those colors, not the relays.

Passenger side fuse box, underneath it (on top of the passenger side front fender liner).

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Underneath the fuseblock under the hood. Tan fuseholder is PCM relay, Green is the fuel pump relay.

Lan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
92 ranger eec fuse blows

it happens after the hum from the fuel system...i turn the key to the on position and all the dash lights come on, you hear the hum, then a click and then a 30 a maxi fuse blowing. and the check engine light turns off when it happens. ive disconnected everything i can get to including the 3/4 shift solenoid wire connectors under the hood. i cant reach the fuel pump power wire connector due to it being on top of the fuel tank and i have not the know how or tools to drop it. i didnt see a second fuel pump on the side of the frame.ive searched the wiring harness for wear or shortage but i have not found any problems there. The only other thing i can add is the truck will start and run for a couple seconds if i dont wait for the fuse to blow then once it blows the truck dies instantly.
when this problem first started it was out of nowhere while i was sitting in my truck waiting to pick up my wife from work in the parking lot.
could the fuel pump be causing the eec relay fuse to blow?
and if so can someone help me locate the power wire to be able to unhook and test to see if the fuse blows while no power is going to the fuel pump.

ps. ive alrdy changed both the eec relay and the fuel pump relay themselves .

Last edited:

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looky here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagram_Enginecontrols4_0_3_0_1of3.JPG

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagram_Enginecontrols4_0_3_0_2of3.JPG

See all those Red wires coming out of the EEC relay contacts?
Sounds like something is shorting to ground.

First place to look is for wires contacting exhaust.

Blowing a 30A fuse is NFG, fire could result. You should be smelling something electrical "burning".

Nothing past the Fuel Pump relay coil on the fuel wiring side will blow that fuse. Step two would be remove the fuel pump relay. Fuse should still blow, confirming fuel wiring is good and you need to visually inspect each place the Red wires go.

MAF (disconnect)
WOT relay (remove it)
Auto Transmission (disconnect)
Cannister Purge valve (disconnect)
Injectors (disconnect as last resort)
IAC (disconnect)
PCM (disconnect)

If your visual inspection doesn't show anything, plug each of those loads in, one at a time until the fuse blows.

It goes without saying that you also inspect/clean up your grounds. The grounds typically have 3 small dimples raised for the ground lug ring to contact. Hit them with sandpaper on top of the raised dimples and brighten up the ring terminals. Radiator support, inner fenders, head to windshield wiper stud, Bat-, etc.

Welcome to The Ranger Station!

Lan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
92 ranger eec fuse blows

ok ive traced the problem to one block plug on the top of the engine.
looks like it runs to the fuel injectors and on back along the bell housing..cant see much more than that but the fuse dont blow now. tho i cant start the engine with the wire harness unplugged.
its the top plug......heres the link to the pic

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/johnnybravo0981/2011-05-25164230.jpg

Last edited:

Doberman1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
No matter where you go, there you are.
My 1990 Ranger SuperCab started blowing the EEC 30 amp Maxi fuse under the hood. Using this thread, and reading a couple others, I chased down the wiring and just unplugged everything that is supposedly on that circuit with the 30 amp maxi fuse.
First I unplugged the EEC relay plug and the fuel relay plug, as well as the WOT cutoff switch. All three are located on the passenger side fender under the hood, located directly underneath the fuse box. (I unbolted the fuse box from the inner fender so that I could get good access to the plugs) I unplugged the MAF, the canister purge, IAC, PCM, and both plugs on the drivers side of the A4LD Auto trans. Then I plugged the fuel relay in and checked if it blew the fuse. It did not, so I hooked up one plug that I had disconnected at a time until the fuse blew. It turns out that the problem was the converter lock-up solenoid inside the trans (OD solenoid). I ordered one from my local parts store for $26.00. Once I get it changed out I hope to update you all on the level of difficulty.
I let the truck sit for a couple months since I have others to drive, and I have not been looking forward to diagnosing this problem because I suck at electrical and I hate it. So a huge THANK YOU to all that chimed in with their knowledge and help on this thread. Because of this thread the Ranger that I bought brand new in 1990 is back on the road, baby!:headbang::yahoo::icon_hornsup:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals