• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just bought an '85 with the 2.8. Need information on this engine

rdsrds123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hi, I just bought a Ranger custom Motorhome with a Scamp camper built onto the back. I'll post pics when I actually get it home. It's in Wisconsin and I am in Baltimore. It has the 2.8 and 57k miles. Can some folks chime in and let me know about this engine. I know it was first available in the Mustang II. What are the problems with it? Same gasket problem as the 2.9? Has ac still works, they say. Thanks!!!

rdsrds123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, the seller said onl
y 16 were ever made. This is in excellent condition.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Can some folks chime in and let me know about this engine. I know it was first available in the Mustang II.

I have rebuilt a 78 pinto that has a 2.8 in it. I believe the motor was in the capri before that maybe 74 as was the stang II. I feel it is a solid motor in the car, however i did some custom work to it when I built it up.

The 83 ranger that I am building started out with a 2.8 5 speed. that combination ran great for a year before I pulled the motor and tore the truck apart for the V8 build. Only problem I really heard about the early 2.8 was the water holes in the heads, so I bored out 2 more water passages in the heads for better flowing cooling.

I wouldn't worry about the motor.

nice find

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The 2.8 itself was not quite terrible. I always thought siamesed exhaust ports was stupid, but it has a gear driven cam, so that is a plug.

The biggest thing it that the ones in the Rangers had a terribly stupid control system, complete with feedback carb, which somehow actually manages to be worse than just a normal carb.

6gun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
??????
Tire Size
39X12.50R17
My credo
I'm not afraid of dying, not living terrifies me!
Sorry no tech to help with just want to say how jealous I am!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The biggest thing it that the ones in the Rangers had a terribly stupid control system, complete with feedback carb, which somehow actually manages to be worse than just a normal carb.
The base engine is a great engine IMO, mine was very tough.

The computer controlled carb offered all the downsides of EFI and carburation with none of the advantages of either. Easy to fix if you don't have smog to deal with with (duraspark ignition and carb from a non feedback 2.8)

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
The only trouble area is the stupid computerized carburetor crap. Other than that it wasn't a bad engine. My 84 Ranger was bought brand new and my grandparents used it up until 1989 to pull a 14' travel trailer all over the country. Not too bad to work on either. Nice thing is there are quite a bit of parts still around for them.

rdsrds123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hello again everyone, I read with great interest your replies, as everything written was news to me, a first time 2.8 owner. Thank you. I now also own a 2007 Ranger 4 cylinder 5-speed, and like it very much.

The 1985 Scamp camper has developed a problem, and I have not even gotten it yet. It's in Wisconsin and I am in Baltimore. The seller, who is a rather good mechanic, fluent in fabrication, inspected the axle, which is way overloaded with the camper.The wheel bearings and axle shafts are shot at 57K miles! Before I take delivery, that axle is going to be replaced with a Toyota six lug full floating dually axle. Its brand new and has never before been mounted. I got it a few weeks ago in Columbus Ohio. I am going to drive it up there next week and the seller will install it. More on this in TRF axle section when I get around to writing about it.

I'm very interested in learning everything I can about the 2.8 and the emission controls. I have looked at the Duraspark upgrade section and will probably do that. But not now.

Questions: Can this feedback carb set-up leave me stranded, or does a malfunction only cause bad drivability? I know that there are many sensors similar to a FI system, including some sort of computer under the passenger's seat. Is there an onboard diagnostic system? Which sensors are most troublesome? Will any mechanic actually still work on this vehicle with this engine? Which repair manuals are best for troubleshooting the feedback system? Which are worse? I ordered the Haynes manual from Rock Auto, as well as the electrical diagram and vacuum diagram manual they sell. I'd like to get a supply of spare sensors to keep with me, and would like to know how I might go about finding them. What vehicles and which years should I look for? I think I will begin my learning-process by reading posts in this section.

Also, would a TRS member happen to have these, or perhaps a Duraspark conversion set-up they'd like to sell?

Thanks for reading this long post reply. I hope to communicate with all of you again in the near future as I get to know my forever Ranger Scamp camper.:yahoo: Roger

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Apparently I'm in the minority's here, but I like the feedback carb setup and TFI ignition in the 2.8. My highway mileage is usually in the high 20's, but I've occasionally gotten 30.

I wouldn't replace any sensors unless they've tested bad. Aftermarket carburetor rebuild kits for these are pretty terrible, as are ignition components. I'd also pitch the Haynes manual and get an original Ford manual on eBay.

If you can find factory parts and use the factory repair procedures, you can have great success with this setup. If you start tuning the carburetor with a vacuum gauge and do a duraspark conversion to get rid of the carburetor stuff--good luck.

rdsrds123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Andy, I'll give the original stuff a shot and see how it works. With this heavy camper on the back I don't think I will be getting 20-30mpg. 15-17 would make me happy. The Toyota axle I am installing will have a 4.10 gear ratio, where OEM is 3.73. I'll have more power, but at MPG expense. The seller replaced the carb power valve. I think that module that is on the distributor should be replaced anyway. I've read some posts here, and that part keeps coming up as a problem. Also vapor lock is an issue.

Can anyone tell me about the hot spot in the heads and how to deal with that? Don't know how serious an issue that is. I understand that drilling a couple holes is the fix, but do I need to remove the heads to do that? How serious is this for the heavy load I will be hauling. The Ranger has a brand new radiator just installed by the seller. I leave for Wisconsin Next week.

I am very glad to see the good opinions most folks seem to have for this engine. I'd like to find an original vehicle where I can remove some of these sensors to have spares. I know this engine came in many vehicles for many years, but I am not sure which vehicles had this feedback system. I'd say 79 Mustang, but after that I am at a loss. I'll be passing many junkyards in many states on my way home and would like to stop in and check. THX!

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Haven't been on the list for a while, so this reply is late.
I agree with Andy B.; these are good engines and the feed back system runs great when in good condition.

I used a factory Diagnostic Manual for troubleshooting and always got it fixed and passed California smog. Parts are getting scarce and I needed a break-out box once, but you may still have a viable engine that will run great.

The only thing that left me in an intersection was the TFI on the distributor; after that one time, I carried a spare. And one time the rotor screws came out - thread locked solved that for ever.

Mileage will suffer with the DuraSpark, but they are easier to fix.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals