• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help. idles fine drives bad low power

pitbull419

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi, ok heres the run down. My 1998 ranger xlt 4.0 is running weird. It idles a little high(around 1000rpm) but smoothly. When i rev it up it "pops" usually around 2000rpm. Now when i try to drive its a different story it pops a lot and seems to be lacking power. After running a KOEO scan the only code i recieved was p0453(evaporative emission system pressure sensor/switch high input) Then i ran a KOER scan and recieved the above code and the following p1151( lack of h02s21 switches sensor indicates lean) , p1137(lack of h02s12 switches sensor indicates lean). Currently the truck has no exhaust past the downpipe(what the first cat bolts to)problem existed before exhaust was removed(i thought cats were plugged thats why i removed) it has all new plugs, wires and coil pack. Firing order is correct ive checked it a hundred times. Also there is a faint odor of gas under the hood but i cant find anyleaks even vaccume. Any info, ideas and suggestions are greatlyappreciated. Thanks

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Yeah if you smell the gas when it's cold only it could definitely be an intake leak which would be leaking combustion fumes out.. Do a fuel pressure check, could even be the fuel pump getting weak

pitbull419

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok i have checked and checked again for vacuum leakes especially the intake mani. I did check my fuel pressure and it is right around 65 where it is supposed to be.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals