• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 ranger 5speed swap.

Kevery

06/2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1978
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 99 4x4 4.0 auto. Just went through another trany and want to do a 5speed swap. I can get everything I need encluding the ecm and the pcu for the same year truck. My only consern is the wiring harness. Am I going to have to change the wiring harness too.

If anyone has done this before I could use the help. I refuse to put another auto in this thing. Thanks a bunch.

Kevery

06/2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1978
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
The answer is YES! I have to change the wiring harness for the whole motor unless I want to do some trick wiring... and I don't.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
It will probably be faster and way less of a headache to swap the harness anyways.

Kevery

06/2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1978
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I called a guy today about a painless wiring harness. I have to take the current harness out and ship it to him. He will modify it and sent it back for around $600. I know there is cheaper ways but since this is a toy I think a simple harness is the way to go. Still need to think about and it some more.

simpler=better

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mercedes
Transmission
Automatic
Junkyard harness? Is the auto really that more complex?

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
if he can modify the harness, then so can you. I know I could do it with nothing more than a pinout diagram for both the auto, and the manual

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
6 whole wires, IIRC.

4 at the clutch pedal switch instead of to the DTRS (Neutral safety switch), those are for starter interlock (pedal depressed to floor) and Cruise Control (engages at the top of the pedal travel) and two more for the reverse lights.

Send your harness to me, I'll do it for $400.....LOL (@ a $200/hour rate, including beer-drinking breaks and throwing the Kong for the dogs)

PM me if you want schematics for that.

Kevery

06/2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1978
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the words of wisdom everyone. I'll pm you for the schematics. My hole idea behind sending it in is to simplify it. I don't smog my truck so I would like to eliminate some stuff. ABS Sensors O2 Sensors (2 out of 4) things like that. I am by no means a electrition or a very good machanic. This is why I'm nervous about it. It's all a learning experience for me. I can build anything but I can't necassarily make it run. I'm working on it though LOL. So if my questions seem silly give me a break. lol

This WILL happen I will make sure of it. Fawk the 5r55e's... JUNK! I already have the Trany and all mis. parts needed on their way. Now its all about bitting the bullet and getting it done.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
if you are dying to send it to someone. hit up wayne at http://150tunes.com/ (email info@diffsonly.com)

he can even just re-flash your auto ECU for a manual transmission, and also eliminate all of the emissions controls inside the ECU to prevent check engine lights on if they aren't used

Some typical charges....
•Thin out and make your good (defined as no cut wires or busted connectors, still in the split loom) harness stand-alone - $250
•Calibrate your good GAS PCM/TCM - $150
•Calibrate your good DIESEL PCM/TCM - $250
•One hour of additional repairs or modifications is billed at $50 an hour plus parts, if needed

i bet there is someone local around you who does it to. We have a shop that will do the same things even cheaper than wayne will.

Last edited:

Kevery

06/2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1978
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I moved this thread to the transmission section. I think its a better fit there. I have some questions there.

Is there such thing as a manual tranny harness and a Automatic tranny harness. Do tranny harnessess plug in somewhere or are they hardwired into the the engin harness. Is it as easey as swapping out transmission harnessess and ECUs.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
yes you have to have the 4.0 5 speed harness. Auto harness won't work (didn't for me at least) truck wouldn't even crank! I had to rig up a 3.0 5 speed harness i can tell you how if you'd like. This was with a 99 Ranger 4x4.

I tried grabbing just the tranny wire harness and connecting it into the engine harness and that didn't work either. 4.0 5 speeds are hard to come by at the JY and are $450 from ford. but the 3.0 5 speed is relatively easy to find, the two harnesses share a lot of similarities, the only different thing is the CMP sensor. all you have to do though is just tie the orange/blue wire into the orange/blue wire that's connected to the EGR vacuum solenoid, and then the black/white wire to the MAF sensor's black wire. then the sensors needed to be extended as needed.

I've been using this setup for about 1300 miles now, no CELs. Just make sure and use heat shrink butt connectors.

Last edited:

Kevery

06/2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1978
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I'm thinking this could be even easier then that. It seems to me through all the research I have been doing that, since I have the MT ECU I can just jump the NSS wires at the transmission and wire up the two wires for the reverse light switch. Your right though. 4.0 MT's are hard to come by. Most places I have called have never heard of a transmission harness. Ford found it but discontinued it. I would have to order the whole engine harness. I'm thinking I'm just going to have to dissect the Auto harness and re-pin some wires.

Anyone have a wiring diagram for a m5od-r1?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals